Subject: Re: CCL:CCL:Is SGI O2/150 much faster than PII/233?

From: "David E. Bernholdt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 15:18:38 -0400

I don't know about any specific comparisons between the R5000 or
R10000 in an O2 and the PII or AMD-K6-2, but...

It is important to remember increasingly, system components other than
the CPU can strongly effect the performance for "real" applications.
With memory busses at 66 or 100 MHz, it can be quite hard to feed the
CPU fast enough to get the peak performance, unless everything is
coming out of cache.  And the utility of the cache will depend
strongly on the applications and algorithms involved.

Balance may be more important than raw CPU performance.

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:05:20 +0400 (MSD)  Eugene Leitl wrote:
> Yubo Fan writes:
> 
>  > Recently, someone told me that SGI O2/150 workstation could run G94 much
>  > faster than G94W run on PII/233? Is it true?  Could you please give some
>  > advice?
> 
> [...] The AMD-K6-2/333 has a peak floating point performance of
> 1.333 Gigaflops...
--
David E. Bernholdt                      | Email:  [email-masked]
Northeast Parallel Architectures Center | Phone:  +1 315 443 3857
111 College Place, Syracuse University  | Fax:    +1 315 443 1973
Syracuse, NY 13244-4100                 | URL:    http://www.npac.syr.edu