Subject: Is SGI O2/150 much faster than PII/233?

From: "M. Nicklaus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 19:55:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

HUMBEL Stephane <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi 
> SGI makes both R5000 and R10000 O2, mine is an R10000 150 MHz
> regards
> Stephane
> PS 
> >hinv 
> 1 150 MHZ IP32 Processor
> FPU: MIPS R10010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 0.0
> CPU: MIPS R10000 Processor Chip Revision: 2.5
> Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
> Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
> Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 1 Mbyte on Processor 0

and

> By the way I definitly agree with you about the fact that these small 
> tests jobs are not very representative of the everyday (intensive) use of
> g94 (for IO), but they give some information. And I'd like to know how
> compare the real Origin 200 (180Mhz?) you have with the other machines,
> that could be informative at least for me.

I ran the seven test jobs on the (real!) SGI Origin 200 (hinv output:
FPU: MIPS R10010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 0.0
CPU: MIPS R10000 Processor Chip Revision: 2.6
1 180 MHZ IP27 Processor
Main memory size: 128 Mbytes
Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 1 Mbyte ), running under
IRIX 6.4.  The aggregate time was 833.5 sec.

For the individual jobs  1,  28,   94,   155,   194,   296,   302,
the job cpu times were: 4.2  11.2  36.7  149.7  52.1   528.1  51.5  sec.

Marc

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Marc C. Nicklaus                        National Institutes of Health
 E-mail: [email-masked]               Bldg 37, Rm 5B29
 Phone:  (301) 402-3111                  37 Convent Dr, MSC 4255       
 Fax:    (301) 496-5839                  BETHESDA, MD 20892-4255    USA 
      http://rex.nci.nih.gov/RESEARCH/basic/medchem/mcnbio.htm
    Laboratory of Medicinal Chemistry, National Cancer Institute,  &
  Center for Molecular Modeling, Ctr. for Information Technology, NIH
------------------------------------------------------------------------