Subject: True or false: a simple assumption of solvation

From: Arthur Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:06:11 -0700 (PDT)

Dear CCLers,

Let's think about this: Is there a linear relationship between the
solvation energies when using two different solvents? 

That is: if the solvation energies of molecule A in two different 
solvents are G(A1) and G(A2) respectively,

	molecule A (vaccum)  --->  molecule A (solvent 1)  G(A1)
	molecule A (vaccum)  --->  molecule A (solvent 2)  G(A2)

	 there will be  G(A1) = k(A)*G(A2).

And, if the solvation energies of another molecule B in these two solvents
are G(B1) and G(B2) respectively,

	molecule B (vaccum)  --->  molecule B (solvent 1)  G(B1)
	molecule B (vaccum)  --->  molecule B (solvent 2)  G(B2)

	 there will be  G(B1) = k(B)*G(B2).

So here is the question: Does k(A) equal to k(B)?

I know the answer must be: NOT ALWAYS. But I just want to know under what
condition this assumption holds and under what condition it does not.

Any comment? Or you can suggest me some references to read. 

Best wishes,

Arthur

Peking University, Beijing
[email-masked]