Subject: Re: CCL:Summary: Fortran compiler in Linux Box

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 14:01:52 +0200 (MEST)

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Gustavo A. Mercier Jr wrote:

> My first recommendation would be to go with another hardware platform
> if you have any possibility. 

Hum, there are a number of good Fortran compilers for Linux out there,
check for instance the the "Linux Fortran Information page" at 
http://studbolt.physast.uga.edu/templon/fortran.html

I've been using f2c/gcc and g77 under Linux for a long time now, mainly
for our computational thermochemistry library ChemApp (see web page
mentioned in my footer). I'm running tests on Linux and a dozen other
platforms very often, and have never had any problems under Linux. g77 is
of course not the fastest compiler out there and probably won't generate
the fastest code, but it's free. There are several commercial compilers
available which for sure generate faster code, if you need that. 

> Nevertheless, if you absolutely need to stick with PC, microsoft are selling
> a digital-made fortran 90 compiler for windows. 
> (I really hate recommending a windows product, but I think it's the
> best pentium fortran compiler there is.)

I have no experience with the new Digital compiler, but the old
PowerStation one wasn't exactly known to be bug-free :-)

All the best,
Stephan

--
Stephan Petersen                           [email-masked]

>-=-=-=- Visit GTT's Technical Thermochemistry Web Page at =-=-=-=-<
>-=-=-=-     http://gttserv.lth.rwth-aachen.de/~sp/tt/     =-=-=-=-<