Subject: CCL: looking for molecular modeling program on web or free

From: Barbara Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 16:02:36 -0700

I am part of a national committee running an undergraduate
pharmaceutical course on-line in the fall.  We will be taking the
students through all the steps that are involved in getting a drug to
market.  One of the things we want the students to do is to be able to
draw and look at their chosen molecule in some sort of modeling
program.  Now, they don't really need to do calculations on this
molecule; just look at it and move it around.  Calculations would only
be icing on the cake.

Students from many universities all over the country (maybe the world)
will be taking this course since it is a web based course, and these
students will have a wide variety of computer capabilities.  That is why
I would like to find a simple program that can be downloaded from the
web or run from the course's web board.  

I thought this would be easy since I knew about Chime and Rasmol, but I
soon discovered that they are only visualization programs to look at
someone else's molecules (like PDB files).  Please correct me if I'm
wrong.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion?  Ideas?
-- 
***********************************************************************
Barbara Murray					[email-masked]
Chemistry Department				909-793-2121 ext 2374
University of Redlands				FAX  909-793-2029
1200 E Colton, PO Box 3080
Redlands, CA 92373-0999