Subject: Re: [Pigdog] CCL:Solid Rocket Fuel Emissions

From: John Dunbar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:06:40 -0700

Hello Berry,

This is a loaded question because solid fuels come in a variety
of forms and compositions.  They also have different burn 
characteristics based upon the thermochemistry involved, the type
of fuel, and shape of fuel grains.

There is also the enthalpy to consider, sometimes called the Q reaction.
Heat of fusion and vaporization must also be considered.  

You can attempt to predict the products of combustion with the
Equilibrium Constant method, or with the Minimization of Free Energy 
method.  Both of these examine the change in heat of reaction and use 
our friend PV = nrT. ( Note there are 3 equations a good physicist never 
forgets: PV = nrT, E =  1/2kt , and F = Gamma*ma + qE from these just
about every useful equation known to mankind can be derived! )

So, it really does depend upon what are your reactants, how will they 
burn, i.e. pressure and geometry of burn, the binder in the propellant, 
and a little statistical analysis.

I would love to discuss this offline with you.  I am currently involved 
in hybrid engines ( N20 + fuel ).  I'm also a HAM operator.  My call
sign is KE6WBO.  I don't have a rig at the moment, but I do amature TV 
telemtry from rockets.  I'm invlovled in a project to place a 12" hybrid 
about 200mi up, and downlink telemtry via video overlay.

If you are serious, I would love to discuss fuel propulsion and
reactions.  Best bet contact me at [email-masked].  I'm using 
hanging out on AOL.

Jonathan 

p.s.  You may want to ask Thom Stark.  He knows far more than anyone 
I have ever heard of studying rocket propulsion and propellant mixtures.

BARRY BITTINGER SR. wrote:
> 
> I respectfully  request your input into my concerns about what chemicals
> are emitted in the smoke of thermal chemical fuel, specifically solid
> rocket fuel, when all these chemicals are burned together at one time?
>         atomized aluminm powder (fuel) 16%
>          ammonium perchlorate (oxidizer) 69.83%
>         iron oxide powder (catalyst) 17% (varies)
>         polybutadiene acrylic acid acrylonitrite (binder) 12% AKA
>         carbonated polyester
>         epoxy curing agent 2%
> Thank you very much. I would appreciate feedback.
> 
>        From Barry W. Bittinger Sr.
> 
>         [email-masked]
> 
> ---
> Administrivia: This message is automatically appended by the mail exploder:
> [email-masked]: Everybody | [email-masked]: Coordinator
> [email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH | Gopher: www.ccl.net 73
> Anon. ftp: www.ccl.net   | [email-masked] -- archive search
>              Web: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
> ---

---

From: John Dunbar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:06:40 -0700

Hello Berry,

Jonathan