Subject: CFP: JCO Special Issue on Computational Biology

From: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Jul 1998 17:27:26 -0000

THIRD CALL FOR PAPERS
                        ======================

                  Journal of Combinatorial Optimization

                              Special Issue on
                      Computational Molecular Biology

Guest Editors:       Ying Xu, Satoru Miyano, Tom Head.

Submission Deadline: August 15, 1998.

The past ten years have witnessed the rapid development of a new 
discipline, computational molecular biology. Combinatorial optimization 
and algorithms have played a significant role in advancing this new 
discipline. The partnership between mathematics, in particular
combinatorial optimization and algorithms, and molecular biology has 
greatly enriched both fields, leading to new ways of thinking and 
greater challenges to meet. 

The scope of this Special Issue includes all aspects of combinatorial
optimization and algorithms in computational molecular biology. Original
papers are solicited that describe research on combinatorial methods for
problems arising from the following areas (nonexhaustive) of molecular
biology:

           -- DNA sequencing
           -- DNA mapping
           -- recognition of genes and regulatory elements
           -- RNA/protein structure prediction 
           -- molecular evolution
           -- combinatorial libraries and drug design
           -- bio-sequence analysis and comparison
           -- computing with biomolecules.

Six hard copies of each submitted manuscript should be sent to one of the
guest editors by August 15, 1998. Manuscripts must be prepared according
to the normal submission requirements of the Journal of Combinatorial
Optimization (see <http://www.wkap.nl/journalhome.htm/1382-6905>). Each
manuscript will be refereed by at least three anonymous reviewers.
Notification of acceptance will be sent to the authors before November
30, 1998. The Special Issue is expected to be published by mid-1999.

Addresses of the guest editors:

              Ying Xu
              Computational Biosciences Section
              Building 1060 COM
              Oak Ridge National Laboratory
              Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6480, USA
              Tel: 423-574-7263 
              Fax: 423-241-1965
              Email: [email-masked]
              Web: <http://compbio.ornl.gov/~xyn/>

              Satoru Miyano
              Human Genome Center
              Institute of Medical Science
              University of Tokyo
              Shirokanedai 4-6-1, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8639, Japan.
              Tel.: +81-3-5449-5615
              Fax: +81-3-5449-5442 
              Email: [email-masked]

              Tom Head
              Department of Mathematics
              Binghamton University
              Binghamton, NY 13902-6000, USA
              Tel: 607-777-2278
              Email: [email-masked]
              Web: <http://math.binghamton.edu/tom/index.html>