Subject: Deadline rapidly approaching for Electronic Lab Notebooks Course offered at the American Chemical Society Meeting in Boston

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 14:21:55 -0400

Dear Colleague,

The deadline is quickly approaching for course preregistration for the
American Chemical Society
(ACS) short course covering electronic notebooks, groupware, document
management, and related systems.

This details of exciting course are given below.  It is being held  in
Boston, one of the world's most exciting cities!

Please register directly with the ACS at
http://www.acs.org/education/profdevl/sccm01.html.

To receive the preregistration discount, please register within the next
two weeks.

Thank you.

===========================================================================
===
"Electronic Lab Notebooks and R&D Team Computing Systems"

                 Who Should Attend

                 Scientists, managers, engineers, MIS and computer support
personnel, regulatory
                 staff in the chemical, pharmaceutical, environmental,
biotech, food and beverage,
                 and related areas. This course will be of interest to
anyone needing to know the
                 legal, regulatory, technical, and social aspects of
electronic notebooks,
                 recordkeeping, document management, or other collaborative
 systems used in
                 R&D or testing labs.

                 How You'll Benefit from This Course

                      Stay current with latest technologies, regulations,
and legal imperatives for
                      laboratory recordkeeping.

                      Quickly assess your company's infrastructure and
cultural readiness to
                      use electronic lab notebooks; learn how to prepare
them to use electronic
                      lab notebooks.

                      Learn when to buy versus build electronic notebook
systems; how to
                      grow them into full-blown R&D Team Computing Systems.

                      Get practical tips for evaluating and selecting
vendors and systems.
                      See key products evaluated and demonstrated without
vendor hype.

                 Course Topics

                      Introduction to Collaborative Electronic Lab
Notebooks and R&D Team
                      Computing Systems:  legal and patent aspects;
regulatory requirements
                      and procedures; technical design concepts; social and
 cultural aspects.
                      Electronic Recordkeeping and Records Management
Systems good
                      recordkeeping practices; the 13 fundamental
properties of electronic
                      records; electronic records, signatures, notary and
security systems for
                      protecting intellectual property; acceptable optical
and magnetic storage
                      media for electronic records.
                      Practical Aspects of Applying The Technologies:
understanding the
                      costs and benefits of electronic notebooks and team
computing systems in
                      your lab; implementing systems to meet legal,
regulatory, technical, and
                      social needs; technical requirements: basic and
advanced design &
                      usability issues; connecting existing instruments,
LIMS, other automation
                      systems; end-user experiences and case studies;
addressing social and
                      cultural issues; methodologies to ensure successful
pilot projects and
                      system rollouts for small to large organizations;
augmenting team
                      intelligence with team computing systems.

                 The Instructors

                 Richard Lysakowski, Ph.D. is Executive Director,
Collaborative Electronic
                 Notebook Systems Association (CENSA), Woburn,
Massachusetts.

                 James T. Currie Jr., Ph.D. is an instructor, researcher,
and engineer for CENSA.

Apologies in advance for any duplications in the mailing lists.