Subject: Re: color printers

From: "M. Nicklaus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 11:34:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998 19:45:55, Themis Lazaridis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Can anybody recommend a color printer that works well for Acrobat PDF
> documents with color? We have an HP color printer here but it doesn't 
> seem to be able to handle the large size of these jobs.

We bought a QMS magicolor 2 EX color laser printer a few weeks ago.  With
80 MB of RAM and a hard drive preinstalled, we've never seen it balk on
any job we've thrown at it so far.  This includes color output from
Adobe Acrobat PDF documents (although I haven't checked how large those
print jobs got).

The printer comes with an Ethernet NIC preinstalled.  We print to it
>from Windows 3.11, Windows 95, MacOS, IRIX 5.3, IRIX 6.3 and 6.4, and
probably a few more platforms that I forget now.  Print quality is very
good in color and black and white, with B&W (text) output being as good
as on any B&W only laser printer.

If you shop around, you should be able to get this printer for >US$4,300.

Marc

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Marc C. Nicklaus                        National Institutes of Health
 E-mail: [email-masked]               Bldg 37, Rm 5B29
 Phone:  (301) 402-3111                  37 Convent Dr, MSC 4255       
 Fax:    (301) 496-5839                  BETHESDA, MD 20892-4255    USA 
      http://rex.nci.nih.gov/RESEARCH/basic/medchem/mcnbio.htm
    Laboratory of Medicinal Chemistry, National Cancer Institute,  &
  Center for Molecular Modeling, Ctr. for Information Technology, NIH
------------------------------------------------------------------------