Subject: Re: color printers

From: "M. Nicklaus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 11:34:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998 19:45:55, Themis Lazaridis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Can anybody recommend a color printer that works well for Acrobat PDF
> documents with color? We have an HP color printer here but it doesn't 
> seem to be able to handle the large size of these jobs.

We bought a QMS magicolor 2 EX color laser printer a few weeks ago.  With
80 MB of RAM and a hard drive preinstalled, we've never seen it balk on
any job we've thrown at it so far.  This includes color output from
Adobe Acrobat PDF documents (although I haven't checked how large those
print jobs got).

The printer comes with an Ethernet NIC preinstalled.  We print to it
from Windows 3.11, Windows 95, MacOS, IRIX 5.3, IRIX 6.3 and 6.4, and
probably a few more platforms that I forget now.  Print quality is very
good in color and black and white, with B&W (text) output being as good
as on any B&W only laser printer.

If you shop around, you should be able to get this printer for >US$4,300.

Marc

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Marc C. Nicklaus                        National Institutes of Health
 E-mail: [email-masked]               Bldg 37, Rm 5B29
 Phone:  (301) 402-3111                  37 Convent Dr, MSC 4255       
 Fax:    (301) 496-5839                  BETHESDA, MD 20892-4255    USA 
      http://rex.nci.nih.gov/RESEARCH/basic/medchem/mcnbio.htm
    Laboratory of Medicinal Chemistry, National Cancer Institute,  &
  Center for Molecular Modeling, Ctr. for Information Technology, NIH
------------------------------------------------------------------------