Subject: postdoctoral vacancy

From: Jonathan Connor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 15:28:22 +0100 (BST)

POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE

New Theories of Chemical Reactions and Molecular Collisions

Applications are invited for a postdoctoral research associate position 
funded by the UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council.

The research involves the development of novel theories for 
understanding the dynamics of chemical reactions and molecular 
collisions.  There are two complementary themes to the research: 

	(a) the dynamics of light atom transfer reactions, which involves
 computationally intensive scattering calculations.
 	(b) new semiclassical theories for understanding the angular 
scattering of reactive and inelastic collisions.

Examples of our recent research include: J. Chem. Phys. 1998 (108) 5695; 
ibid. 1996 (104) 2297; J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. 1997 (93) 709; J. Comput. 
Appl. Math. 1997 (82) 447; Chem. Phys. 1996 (207) 461. Excellent
computational facilities are available for the research including
supercomputers and workstations.

The research on the dynamics of light atom transfer reactions involves 
collaboration with Professor G C Schatz, Dept. of Chemistry, Northwestern 
University, Evanston, Illinois, USA, and some travel to the USA is possible. 

The appointment is for 2 years. Salary in the range  15159-22785 UK 
pounds plus membership of the Universities Superannuation Scheme.

Candidates with strengths in either of the above themes (or both) should 
send their curriculum vitae and names of two referees to:

Professor J.N.L. Connor		Tel:  (+44)-161-275-4693/4686
Department of Chemistry		Fax:  (+44)-161-275-4734
University of Manchester
Manchester M13 9PL 
England	

Email: [email-masked]

-- 
******************************************************************************
 Professor J.N.L. Connor,     Phone(direct line): 0161-275-4693 (national)
 Department of Chemistry,                     :+44-161-275-4693 (international)
 University of Manchester,
 Manchester M13 9PL,            Phone(secretary): 0161-275-4686 or 4600
 England.                                    Fax: 0161-275-4734 or 4598  
******************************************************************************