Subject: Seeking experiences with DQS

From: "Joseph W. Bausch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 14:44:13 -0400

Hi, I've recently put together a handful of linux boxes for our department
to serve as compute machines primarily for running Gaussian.  I have also
got up and running the Distributed Queueing System out of Florida State
University, with the hopes it can help with management of job submissions.
I am hoping there are others in the CCL-world that have done this as well
and can pass along their comments/experiences, in particular in the
following area:

-it was relatively straightforward to set up a complex so people can submit
a G94 job to the complex, then the job gets sent to the least busy computer
of our group of linux machines.  However, what I don't know how to handle
is dealing with checkpoint files and scratch files.  If a person submits a
job that goes to computer A and runs successfully, then wants to run
another job using the same checkpoint file, how do you handle this with
dqs?  If the job gets submitted to say computer B, the checkpoint file
isn't there, but instead is on computer A.

I guess what I really want to have is the following:  have all users just
have to log into one machine, submit their Gaussian jobs from there, then
somehow have their output and checkpoint files (when a job is complete) be
copied back onto that one computer, with the ability to submit another job
to the complex that might require the use of the checkpoint file.  Right
now I don't have the computers in the complex sharing any hard drives,
except for the files needed to run DQS, and this is done via NFS.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.  I'll summarize if there is
sufficient interest.

Joe
[email-masked]
--------------------