Subject: Ideas for using a Chemistry Whiteboard

From: Adam Hodgkin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 15:59:10 +0100

Dear Internet Chemist,

ChemWeb asked Cherwell Scientific to give a virtual lecture on JavaBeans
for Chemistry which is now on the ChemWeb site. See extract from their
announcement, below.

The most interesting thing about this lecture was the Chemistry Whiteboard
which VEI had put together from the ChemSymphony Beans (VEI specialise in
organising electronic conferences and manage the lecture series). We think
they have some cool ideas about how to use Beans interactively.

Take a look at it if you want to get a 'feel' for what a Java chemistry
Whiteboard can do. Once you have looked at it, you may want to ask a
colleague to join you in a sketching session at the Virtual Whiteboard.

Using the Whiteboard leads to speculation about possible developments. If
you have ideas about specific 'must have' applications for a chemistry
WhiteBoard reply direct to me or to this list. We offer a Magnum of
champagne (or equivalent present) to the best idea submitted and I will
produce a summary of replies received for the list.

> ChemSymphony Beans Demonstration Open
>
>The ChemSymphony whiteboard is now accessible to all ChemWeb 7 registrants
>in the auditorium at http://chemweb.vei.co.uk.  This demo allows you to
>create and modify a structure in real time, and display it to other
>delegates who are logged in.  To use the demo, you must have either
>Internet Explorer 4 or the Java plugin (Win 95/NT/Solaris) with Netscape 3
>or 4.  For information about the Java plugin, see
http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/index.html.

Best wishes

Adam

---                                                                       ---
     Adam Hodgkin                    |  e-mail:  [email-masked]
     Chairman                        |  Phone:   +44 (0)1865 784810
     Cherwell Scientific Publishing  |  Fax:     +44 (0)1865 784801
     Oxford OX4 4GA, UK              |  URL:     http://www.cherwell.com
---                                                                       ---