Subject: 99.03.21 ACS Symposium - Data Mining Chemical Information Databases

From: [email-masked] (wxf07)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 14:43:43 -0400

The ACS Division of Chemical Information is organizing a symposium on "Data
Mining Chemical Information Databases" for the Spring 1999 American Chemical
Society meeting to be held in Anaheim CA, March 21-25 1998. The symposium is
co-sponsored by the ACS Divison of Computers in Chemistry.

This symposium will focus on techniques for data mining databases of textual
or textual and substance representation chemical information. Data mining can
be viewed as the process of analyzing databases to automatically discover and
extract relationships and, typically, to make predictions based on these
relationships. Data mining techniques are being increasingly used for
trend analysis and in support of scientific and business decisions. An example
of a chemistry-related use is substance-property relationship discovery. Some
of the techniques used in chemical information data mining include similarity
search and clustering, expert systems, neural nets, genetic algorithms,
and classification trees. Also, methods are needed to verify the accuracy
and reliability of the discovered relationships and the subsequent predictions.
Papers are invited which discuss the use of such mining and verification
techniques involving aspects of textual chemical information.

If you are interested in submitting a paper for this symposium, please e-mail
the title of your paper by October 9th, if possible. The due date
for the ACS abstract is November 16th. Also, if possible, please use the electronic
version of the ACS abstract which can be obtained from
http://www.acs.org/meetings/abstract/absdown.html

					 Bill Fisanick

 *--------------------------*------------------------*------------------------*
 |William Fisanick          |2540 Olentangy River Rd.|email:[email-masked]|
 |Senior Scientist, Research|Columbus, OH 43202-1505 |phone:614-447-3600 x2327|
 |Chemical Abstracts Service|USA                     |fax  :614-447-3813      |
 *--------------------------*------------------------*------------------------*