Subject: 3rd LAKE TAHOE SYMPOSIUM ON MOLECULAR DIVERSITY

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 14:15:49 -0500 (CDT)

LAKE TAHOE SYMPOSIA announces the
3rd LAKE TAHOE SYMPOSIUM ON MOLECULAR DIVERSITY
Granlibakken at Lake Tahoe, California
January 24-29, 1999

Schedule
Formal activities begin Sunday, January 24,  at 6 PM with dinner and
Keynote Address and end Friday, January 29, with breakfast and departure
only.  "Gordon Conference"-style format:  lectures in mornings and
evenings; afternoons free for informal discussions, etc. 

For updates and schedule of plenary lectures, view the Symposia
Internet web site: http://www.laketahoesymposia.org

Submitted Papers
Registrants who wish to present submitted papers should transmit an
abstract or letter of intent by the pre-registration deadline. To obtain
instructions for abstract preparation, contact the Lake Tahoe Center
(see information at the end of this message). Submitted papers will be
presented in poster sessions and some may also be selected for delivery
in podium sessions.

Financial Aid for Graduate Students
A limited number of grants-in-aid of up to $400 are available to
graduate trainees who present their research at this meeting. Students
requesting financial assistance should include a letter of support from
their faculty advisor.

1999 Program Organizers
* Design *
MaryJo Zaborowski, Roche Bioscience
Fred Cohen, UC San Francisco
Bob Pearlman, U Texas Austin

* Generation *
Jon Ellman, UC Berkeley
Steve Kaldor, Lilly Res Labs
Kevin Chapman, Merck

* Evaluation *
Roger Tsien, UC San Diego
Nolan Sigal, Pharmacopeia

* New Technologies *
Paul Hoeprich, Hewlett-Packard

*** PROGRAM ***
* Keynote Address *
Jonathan Knowles (Hoffman-La Roche)
The molecular diversity of man and molecule

* Banquet Address *
Sydney Brenner (Molecular Sciences Institute)
Massively parallel solid phase cloning

* Informatics - Chemistry *
Jon Mason (Bristol-Myers Squibb)
New methods for diversity profiling

Peter Myers (Combichem)
Design of informative libraries

Bernd Rohde (Novartis)
Diversity mapper

Dora Schnur (Pharmacopeia)
Designing large "smart" combinatorial libraries: activity based
validations of diversity hypotheses

Bob Tilton (Arqule)
Diversity and library design

Lutz Weber (Morphochem)
Diversity of the chemistry space-fractals and genetic algorithms

* Informatics - Biodisplay *
David Haussler (UC Santa Cruz)
Hidden Markov models for biosequence analysis

Anthony Kerlavage (Celera)
Data management from high-throughput EST projects

Michael Liebman (Wyeth-Ayerst)
Bioinformatics beyond genomics

Eric Schadt (Roche Bioscience)
Quantitative analysis of gene expression arrays and linkage analysis

Jeffrey Skolnick (Scripps)
New methods for the prediction of protein structure and function from
sequence

Robert Strausberg (NCI)
The cancer genome anatomy project

* Screening - Functional Genomics *
Keith Bostian (Iconix Pharm)
Yeast surrogate screening and the activity matrix concept

Michael Conrad (Chromagen)
Novel fluorescence-based hybridization and immunoassays

George Grass (Navicyte)
Drug selection - interfacing in vitro screening and pharmacokinetic
simulation models with discovery

Michael Heller (Nanogen)
Electronically-driven DNA manipulation and hybridization on chips

Homme Hellinga (Duke)
Protein-based biosensors

Bill Hutchens (Ciphergen)
ProteinChipTM array strategies for differential protein display:
retentate maps of molecular recognition diversity

Fred Kramer (Pub Hlth Res Inst)
Multicolor molecular beacons for the identification of single nucleotide
polymorphisms

Alex Varshavsky (Caltech)
Co-dominant interference and multi-target drugs

K. Xanthopoulos (Aurora Bio)
Genome-wide cytometric trapping of differentially expressed genes in
live cells

* Solid & Liquid Phase Chemistry *
Shankar Balasubramanian (U Cambridge)
Solid phase chemical technologies 

Scott Berk (Merck)
A combinatorial approach to non-peptide subtype selective somatostatin
receptor agonists

Alexey Eliseev (SUNY Buffalo)
Dynamic combinatorial chemistry

Michael Foley (Harvard)
Stereoselective synthesis

Ole Hindsgaul (U Alberta)
Solid phase synthesis and screening of carbohybrid libraries

Shu Kobayashi (U Tokyo)
New methods for the synthesis of compound libraries

Wilhelm Maier (Max Planck Inst)
Combinatorial catalysis

Richard Morphy (Organon Labs)
Diversification linkers for tertiary amine synthesis

Mike Organ (York U)
Diverse solution phase libraries based upon an alkene template

Allen Reitz (Johnson & Johnson)
Sulfonate traceless linkers

Susan Rohrer (Merck)
A combinatorial approach to non-peptide subtype selective somatostatin
receptor agonists

Peter Schneider (Novartis Pharm)
Large scale solid phase synthesis: a valuable approach?

Victor Snieckus (Queen's U)
C-C bond formation: solid support-solution phase interface

Drew Thompson (Dupont)
Silica based scavengers

* New Technologies *
Tony Czarnik (Illumina)
Beads on fiber optic bundle tips: self-assembled femtoarrays

Randall King (Harvard)
Nanowell format assays for identifying inhibitors of cell division

Doug Modlin (LJL Biosystems)
Multi-assay development

Jack Owicki (LJL Biosystems)
Multi-assay development

Tom Paterson (Entelos)
Disease modeling systems

Mike Sailor (UC San Diego)
Chemical and biological sensing with nanocrystalline  porous silicon

Raymond Salemme (3-D Pharm)
Finding ligands by their effects on the thermal denaturation curves of
their receptors

Lans Taylor (Cellomics)
Integration of UHTS, HCS, and cellular informatics

Peter Wilding (U PA Med Ctr)
Microfluidic-based technologies: overcoming sample problems

Organization:  Lake Tahoe Symposia are organized by scientific
organizers and program committees and administered by the Lake Tahoe
Center, a not-for-profit educational foundation under Section 501(c)(3)
of the Internal Revenue Code. Lake Tahoe Center assumes no
responsibility for services provided by others as described in this
message.

Registration:  To register, contact Lake Tahoe Symposia for registration
forms and general conference information. Contact information is
provided at the end of this message.

Pre-Registration (on or before December 10):  The fee for
pre-registration is $350, payable to Lake Tahoe Center; a reduced fee of
$100 is available to graduate students engaged in dissertation research.

Late Registration (after December 10).  The fee is $400; contact Lake
Tahoe Symposia directly or consult the Lake Tahoe Symposia web site for
details and availability.

Conference Location and Amenities:  Granlibakken is approximately
one-half mile south of Tahoe City, CA, a one hour drive from Reno/Tahoe
International Airport. The 160-room conference center is located in a
wooded mountain setting approximately one-half mile from Lake Tahoe.
During free time, conferees may downhill ski at Alpine Meadows or Squaw
Valley or cross-country ski on National Forest Service land adjacent to
Granlibakken. Casinos in the North Shore area are 30 minutes close by
car.

Accommodations:  Registrants must purchase a conference
lodging/meal/function package from Granlibakken. This package includes
all meals, functions, tax and gratuities. Resident packages include
lodging from Sunday, January 24 arrival  through Thursday, January 29
departure and start at $588 (per person, shared occupancy) and $768 (per
person, private occupancy). A reduced shared occupancy rate resident
package is available to graduate students for $390 and nonresidents are
charged $408 (includes all meeting services except for lodging). Contact
Granlibakken directly about lodging or conference services at PO Box
6329, Tahoe City CA 96145, by telephone at 530.583.4242 or 800.543.3221,
by FAX at 530.583.7641, or by e-mail to [email-masked] or access
their Internet web site: http://www.granlibakken.com.

Additional Nights Lodging:  Rooms are offered at a nightly bed and
breakfast rate for registrants who wish to arrive early or depart late.
Contact Granlibakken directly for details.

Ground Transportation is available between Reno/Tahoe Airport and
Granlibakken and must be reserved 48 hours in advance directly from
Granlibakken. All major rental car agencies provide service at
Reno/Tahoe airport .

Air Transportation:  The lowest domestic air fares into Reno/Tahoe
International Airport do not require a Saturday over-night stay.

*** 1998 Lake Tahoe Symposia Sponsors ***

* 2nd Lake Tahoe Symposium on Molecular Diversity *

Friends ($5000 -$10,000)
Merck & Company Inc.
Zeneca Pharmaceuticals

Contributors ($500 - $2,000)
Abbott Laboratories
Argonaut Technologies Inc.
Axys Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Eli Lilly Research Laboratories
F. Hoffman-La Roche AG
Parke-Davis Pharmaceutical Research 
Pharmacia & Upjohn
Pharmacopeia Inc.

* Antiviral Therapy: Targets, Resistance, Strategies To Minimize
Resistance *

Sponsor ($30,000)
Specialty Laboratories Inc.

For additional information, registration and lodging forms, contact Lake
Tahoe Symposia as described below.

Lake Tahoe Center
Lake Tahoe Symposia
604 South Saltair Avenue
Los Angeles CA 90049-4135
USA
Voice:  310 476-1147 or 825-9329
Fax:  310 476-7741 or 206-1703
E-mail:  [email-masked] 
Internet:  http://www.laketahoesymposia.org