Subject: a good graphing analysis package?

From: "Kieran F Lim (Lim Pak Kwan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 16:04:46 +1000

We are seeking a dual platform (Mac and PC) graphing and analysis
package. This should have the ability to do
 - curve fitting (including user-defined functions)
 - 2-d and 3-d plots
 - plots suitable for insertion into both hardcopy and electronic
   documents (not everthing does the latter well!)

Can you recommend a package based on your experiences?

Sorry if you get multiple copies of this message.

Thank you,

Kieran

------------------------------------------------------------
 Dr Kieran F Lim             Biol. and Chemical Sciences
 (Lim Pak Kwan)              Deakin University
 ph:  + [61] (3) 5227-2146   Geelong          VIC   3217
 fax: + [61] (3) 5227-1040   AUSTRALIA
 mailto:[email-masked]    http://www.deakin.edu.au/~lim

---

From: Paul Abbott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 14:31:49 +0800

>Can you recommend a package based on your experiences?

Mathematica does all of these things well (and more).  You can find out
more about Mathematica at

	http://www.wolfram.com

Some examples of chemistry applications of Mathematica can be found at

	http://www.wolfram.com/engineering/users.html

and some research papers in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering that have
used Mathematica are listed at

	http://www.wolfram.com/papers/chem.html

In addition, I find it to be an excellent teaching tool. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
	Paul

____________________________________________________________________
Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61-8-9380-2734
Department of Physics                           Fax: +61-8-9380-1014
The University of Western Australia
Nedlands WA  6907                     mailto:[email-masked]
AUSTRALIA                        http://www.physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player
____________________________________________________________________

---

From: "ROBERT R J MAIER" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:16:04 GMT +0100

MICROCAL's ORIGIN Versions 4 and 5  should fit all your requirements 

http://www.microcal.com

Robert

Date:          Wed, 21 Oct 1998 16:04:46 +1000
Subject:       a good graphing analysis package?
From:          "Kieran F Lim (Lim Pak Kwan)" <[email-masked]>
To:            [email-masked]
Cc:            [email-masked], [email-masked], 
               [email-masked], [email-masked]
Reply-to:      "Kieran F Lim (Lim Pak Kwan)" <[email-masked]>

Thank you,

Kieran

Robert Maier; Dipl.Ing.;  Research Associate
Optoelectronics and Laser Engineering Group
Department of Physics;  Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh  EH14 4AS;  Scotland;  UK
Tel: +44(0131)4513084; Fax: +44(0131)4513088
email: [email-masked]

---

From: "W. R. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 08:35:10 -0400

>Sorry if you get multiple copies of this message.

SigmaPlot is the primier such package for a PC - I don't know if a Mac
version exists.  See the web site

http://www.spss.com/software/science/sigmaplot/ 
-- W. R. Smith, PhD, P. Eng., Senior Scientist, Mathtrek Systems --
3-304 Stone Road West, Suite 165, Guelph, Ontario CANADA N1G 4W4
EMail: [email-masked]       Tel:519-763-1356,FAX:519-763-4525
--------------------- http://www.mathtrek.com ---------------------
-Mathtrek Systems - Home of EQS4WIN Chemical Equilibrium Software -