Subject: SUMMARY: bioisosterism

From: Inge Muszynski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 17:40:29 +0200

Dear CCL'lers,

Concerning the alignment of the bioisosteric groups ester and
1,2,4-oxadiazole I got the following answers/references:

A.M. MacLeod, R. Baker, S.B. Freedman, S. Patel, K.J. Merchant, M. Roe and
J. Saunders. Synthesis and Muscarinic Activities of 1,2,4-Thiadiazoles.
J.Med.Chem., 33, 2052-2059 (1990).

B.S. Orlek, F.E. Blaney, F. Brown, M.S.G. Clark, M.S. Hadley, J. Hatcher,
G.J. Riley, H.E. Rosenberg, H.J. Wadsworth and P. Wyman. Comparison of
Azabicyclic Esters and Oxadiazoles as Ligands for the Muscarinic Receptor.
J.Med.Chem., 34, 2726-2735 (1991).

J. Saunders, M. Cassidy, S.B. Freedman, E.A. Harley, L.L. Iversen, C.
Kneen, A.M. MacLeod, K.J. Merchant, R.J. Snow and R. Baker. Novel
Quinuclidine-Based Ligands for the Muscarinic Chilinergic receptor.
J.Med.Chem., 33, 1128-1138 (1990).

G.A. Showell, T.L. Gibbons, C.O. Kneen, A.M. MacLeod, K. Merchant, J.
Saunders, S.B. Freedman, S. Patel and R. Baker.
Tetrahydropyridyloxadiazoles: Semirigid Muscarinic Ligands. J.Med.Chem.,
34, 1086-1094 (1991).

Bioisosterism: A Rational Approach in Drug Design.
GeorgeA.Patani and Edmond J.LaVoie.
Chem Rev 1996, 96, 3147-3176.

Review: Similarities in bioanalogous structural transformation patterns among
various bioactive compound series. Toshio Fujita, 
Biosci.Biotech.Biochem.,60(4),557-566,1996

There will soon have been published a work on bioisosterism that mentions 
1,2,4-oxadiazoles; it'll be on www.ijc.com, Heterocyclic w-carboxylate
biosiosteres as AMPA receptor agonists.