Subject: Intelligent Systems for Molec. Biol. (ISMB '99)

From: Daniel Hoffmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 17:27:47 +0100

FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS

                 The Seventh International Conference on
         Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology (ISMB '99)
                        August 6 - August 10, 1999
                          Heidelberg, Germany
                          http://ismb99.gmd.de

   Sponsored by the International Society for Computational Biology

  ATTEND ONE OF THE PREMIER INTERNATIONAL MEETINGS IN BIOINFORMATICS
        AND ENJOY THE RARE SIGHT OF A TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE

The ISMB conference provides a general forum for disseminating the
latest developments in bioinformatics.  ISMB is a multidisciplinary
conference that brings together scientists from computer science,
molecular biology, mathematics and statistics.  Its scope includes
the development and application of advanced computational methods for
biological problems.  Relevant computational techniques include, but
are not limited to: machine learning, pattern recognition, knowledge
representation, databases, combinatorics, stochastic modeling, string
and graph algorithms, linguistic methods, robotics, constraint
satisfaction, and parallel computation.  Biological areas of interest
include molecular structure, genomics, molecular sequence analysis,
evolution and phylogenetics, molecular interactions, metabolic pathways,
regulatory networks, developmental control, and molecular biology
generally. Emphasis is placed on the validation of methods using real
data
sets, on practical applications in the biological sciences, and on
development of novel computational techniques.

The five-day conference is going to be held in the Stadthalle Heidelberg
in
the center of the picturesque town of Heidelberg in Germany. Heidelberg
is
one of the scientific centers of Molecular Biology in Germany. In
addition
to its renown University and two Max-Planck Institutes, the European
Molecular Biology Laboratory and the German National Cancer Research
Center
are located there as well as many pharmaceutical and biotech companies.
The
region receives special funding as one of three BioRegio regions in
Germany. Heidelberg can be reached conveniently by train or shuttle from
Frankfurt airport.

The conference precedes a total solar eclipse which will happen just
south
of Heidelberg on August 11, 1999. Total solar eclipses are extremely
rare
astronomical events, happening only every few hundred years over a given
point on earth. The next total solar eclipse in central Europe is going
to
happen in the year 2081; over North America the next total solar eclipse
is
in the year 2017.

The conference will feature original, refereed papers, software
demonstrations, posters and introductory tutorials. There will also be
an
exhibition of hardware and software vendors. Papers will be published by
the AAAI in an archival proceedings and are indexed in the Medline
database, and will be provided to participants as a bound volume at the
conference.

The previous ISMB meetings were:

  1993: National Library of Medicine, USA
  1994: Stanford University, USA
  1995: Cambridge University, UK
  1996: Washington University, USA
  1997: Halkidiki, Greece
  1998: Montreal, Canada

Keynote speakers

    Manfred Eigen, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry,
                   Goettingen Germany
                   (Nobel Laureate in Chemistry 1967)

    Amos Bairoch, University of Geneva, Switzerland
    Richard Karp, University of Washington, Seattle WA
    Anthony Kerlavage, Celera Genomics Corporation, Rockville MD
    Eugene Koonin, NCBI, Bethesda MD
    Rob Lipschutz, Affymetrix Inc., Santa Clara CA
    Matthias Mann, Odense University, Denmark
    Michael Sternberg, ICRF, London UK

Paper format

Papers should be  a maximum  of 12 pages, single-spaced and set in 12
point
type, including title, abstract, figures, tables, and bibliography. The
first page should give keywords, postal and electronic mailing
addresses,
telephone, and fax numbers. See the WWW page for other conference
details.

Submission information

For physical submission, please send five copies of your paper to:

       ISMB '99
       c/o Thomas Lengauer
       GMD-SCAI
       Schloss Birlinghoven
       53754 Sankt Augustin
       Germany

Papers can also be sent electronically (postscript format only)
to [email-masked]

                    ISMB-99 Organizing Committee

  Peer Bork           EMBL Heidelberg and MDC Berlin, Germany
  Doug Brutlag        Stanford University, USA
  Janice Glasgow      Queen's University, Canada
  Thomas Lengauer     GMD Sankt Augustin, Germany
  Hans Werner Mewes   MIPS Martinsried, Germany
  Reinhard Schneider  LION bioscience AG, Heidelberg, Germany
  Ralf Zimmer         GMD Sankt Augustin, Germany

                               Key Dates

Meeting:
  Tutorial presentations:                               Aug  6, 1999
  Paper presentations:                                Aug 7-10, 1999

Paper Submissions
  Papers must be received by:                           Jan 31, 1999
  Replies to authors by:                                Mar 20, 1999
  Revised papers must be received by:                   Apr  9, 1999

Open Poster Submissions
  Abstracts must be received by:                        May 15, 1999

Tutorial Proposals
  Short (1-para) proposals must be received by:         Jan 10, 1999
  Full (3pp) proposals must be received by:             Feb  5, 1998
  Replies to proposers by:                              Mar 26, 1998
  Draft handouts must be received by:                   Apr 25, 1998
  Final handouts must be received by:                   Jun 20, 1998
  Tutorials presented:                                  Aug  6, 1998

ISMB-99 Contact address:  [email-masked]