Subject: Energy levels of atomic orbitals (calculated/experimental) as functions of nuclear charge.

From: Laurence Lavelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:46:35 -0800

Greetings,

I am looking for recent calculations/experimental data of energy levels of
atomic orbitals as functions of nuclear charge. I am teaching first year
chemistry and would like recent work on the relative stability of the 4s
and 3d orbitals and why they change for the first transition row. Of the
four teaching text books I've read two show Sc as 4s^2 3d^1 and two show
3d^1 4s^2 as the ground state. 
Comments welcome.

Appreciated
Laurence Lavelle

---

From: "J. Sichel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:29:31 -0400 (AST)

> 3d^1 4s^2 as the ground state. 

According to CE Moore's compilation of Atomic Energy Levels, the
experimental ground state is Sc(3d 4s2 2D 3/2).

     John-M. Sichel
     Dept. de chimie et biochimie
     Universite de Moncton
     Moncton NB, Canada