Subject: Final Program-Charleston Conference

From: [email-masked] (Network Science)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 09:26:32 +0100

The 1999 Charleston Conference
Innovative Techniques for Lead Discovery and Development

March 15 - 17, 1999
Wild Dunes Resort
Isle of Palms, South Carolina

At one time, pharmaceutical scientists studied the function and structure
of a novel biological target and spent years identifying and optimizing a
lead candidate. Over the past few years, competitive pressures have forced
research to become more efficient. Emerging new technologies such as
genomics, gene sequencing, transgenic animals, and molecular biology have
afforded large numbers of novel, clinically relevant biological targets.
High throughput screening and combinatorial chemistry have been used to
rapidly identify and optimize leads for these targets. Additionally, the
complementary techniques of computational chemistry and cheminformatics
have been used to successfully leverage research information.

The invited lectures, discussions, and poster session to be held over three
days will focus on the successful integration of these technologies in new
lead discovery and development. Participants will explore the ways in which
the industry is increasing the productivity of the discovery process. The
outstanding group of invited session chairs and speakers who will lead the
meeting are listed below.

The program for The Charleston Conference is organized by the session
chairs in conjunction with the officers of Network Science Corporation, a
not-for-profit educational foundation under Section 501(c)(3) of the
Internal Revenue Code.

[ ========================================================= ]

The Program for 1999
Sunday, March 14

8:00 PM: Conference Reception
Sponsored by Molecular Simulations Inc.

Monday, March 15

7:00 AM:  Continental Breakfast

8:00 - 8:15:  Conference Opening:
                   Allen B. Richon
                   Network Science Corporation

Session 1: Computer-Assisted Drug Design

8:15 - 9:00: Applications of New Technology
                   Osman Günar
                   Senior Product Manager
                   Rational Drug Design
                   Molecular Simulations Inc.

9:00 - 11:45: Session Chair: Edward Hodgkin
                                            Associate Director
                                            Structural Biology
                                            Wyeth-Ayerst Research

Brad Katz
Group Leader
Axys Pharmaceuticals
Presentation: "Recruiting Zinc to Mediate
Potent Selective Inhibition of Serine Proteases"

Kristina Luthman
Professor, Medicinal Chemistry
University of Tromsø
Presentation: "Theoretical Predictions of Intestinal Drug Absorption"

Martha S. Head
SmithKline Beecham
Presentation: "Structure-Based Design Technologies and Their
Application"

11:45 - 1:00: Lunch

1:00 - 3:30: Session Chair: Chris Waller
                                          Research Manager
                                          Informatics
                                          OSI Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

Paul Charifson
Senior Staff Investigator
Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Presentation: "Poor Score? Then, Score More: A Guide to Improved
Hit Rates Thru Docking"

David J. Cummins
Senior Scientist
Statistical & Mathematical Sciences
Eli Lilly & Company
Presentation: "Molecular Diversity: Statistical Perspectives and
Approaches"

Paul Mezey
Director
Mathematical Chemistry Research Unit
Department of Chemistry
Department of Mathematics and Statistics University of Saskatchewan
Presentation: "Local Shape of Molecular Bodies as Information Carrier on
Biochemical Reactivity"

Mark Smythe
Principle Investigator
Center for Drug Design and Development
University of Queensland
Presentation: "The Development of Focused Combinatorial Libraries About
Protein Surface Conformations"

6:30 - 8:00: Poster Session and Informal
                   Product Demonstrations:
                      Allen Richon
                      Network Science Corporation

8:00:  Dinner
          Sponsored by Molecular Solutions, Inc.

[ ========================================================= ]

Tuesday, March 16
Session 2: Lead Discovery

7:00 - 8:15: Continental Breakfast

8:15 - 9:00: Applications of New Technology
                   Rolf E. Swenson
                   Director of Chemistry
                   Orchid Biocomputer, Inc.

9:00 - 11:45: Session Chair: Donald Bierer
                                             Associate Director
                                             Medicinal Chemistry
                                             Shaman Pharmaceuticals

Wesley K. M. Chong
Agouron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Presentation: TBA

John Janusz
Principal Scientist
Medicinal Chemistry
Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals
Presentation: "The Discovery and Preparation of
Dihydrodimethylbenzofuran Dual COX-2 Selective COX-LOX
Inhibitors"

Gang Liu
Research Chemist
Abbott Laboratories
Presentation: "ABT-627 and Beyond: The Discovery of ETA Selective,
ETB Selective, and Balanced Endothelin Antagonists"

Harmeet Sidhu
Director of Research
Oxylate Division
Ixion Pharmaceuticals
Presentation: "Approaches to the Treatment of Oxylate Metabolism
Disorders"

11:45 - 1:00: Lunch

1:00 - 3:30: Session Chair: John Babiak
                                          Associate Director
                                          Robotics and Automation
                                          Wyeth-Ayerst Research Institute

Berta Strulovici
Senior Director
Automated Biotechnology
Merck Research Laboratories
Presentation: "HTS: An Integrated, Multidisciplinary Operation"

Julian Warhurst
Vice President
Research and Development
TekCel, llc
Presentation: "Automation Architectures for HTS and Their Impact on
Productivity"

Joseph Zock
Director
Screen Development
Cellomics, Inc.
Presentation: "The High Content Screening (HCS) Platform for Improving
Decisions in Drug Discovery"

7:00: Dinner: Sponsored by Network Science Corporation

[ ========================================================= ]

Wednesday, March 17
Session 3: Informatics

8:15 - 9:00: Applications of New Technology
                   Christopher Ahlberg
                   Chief Executive Officer
                   Spotfire, AB

9:00 - 11:45: Session Chair: Andrew Rusinko
                                            Assistant Technical Director
                                            Medicinal Chemistry
                                            Alcon Laboratories

Michael Gilson
CARB Fellow, NIST Research Chemist
Presentation: "A Public Molecular Recognition Database"

J. Alan Menius
Project Manager, Chemoinformatics
Glaxo Wellcome, Inc.
Presentation: "Determining Important Structural Features Across
Targets Through Analysis of HTS Data"

Ramaswamy Nilakanatan
Principal Research Scientist
Wyeth-Ayerst Research
Presentation: "Tools for the Characterization of Large Chemical
Databases and Their Applications in Drug Discovery"

11:45 - 1:00: Lunch

1:00 - 3:30: Session Chair: Greg Paris
                                          Staff Scientist
                                          CAMM (Biophysical Chemistry)
                                          Novartis Pharmaceuticals

Frank Allen
Scientific Director
Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre
Presentation: "Knowledge-Bases Derived From  the Cambridge
Structural Database and Their Application in Molecular Design"

Anthony Nicholls
President
Open Eye Scientific Software
Presentation: "Exploring Chemical Shape Space"

Don R. Swanson
Professor Emeritus, Information Sciences
The University of Chicago
Presentation: "Computer-Assisted Discovery of Novel Implicit
Connections
in Text Databases."

3:30: End of Conference

                         Call For Poster Session Abstracts

Attendees who wish to present a paper in the Poster Session should submit
an abstract for approval by the Conference Organizing Committee by November
30, 1998. Each presenter will be provided with poster board space 4 ft wide
and 4 ft high. The title line of the Poster should be placed at the top in
letter at least 1 inch in height and should be clearly readable at a
distance of 10 ft. Lettering of legends and tables should be clearly
readable at a distance of 3 ft. Tacks and masking tape will be available.

Abstracts should be limited to one page, twelve point font and must contain:

* The title of the presentation

* The names, affiliations, and full contact information for each of the
authors. The presenter for the poster should be listed as its first author.

* The abstract. If structures are part of the abstract, please submit them
separately as a ChemDraw or ISIS Draw formatted file.

The Charleston Conference Committee will notify authors of acceptance of
their poster. Please note: Only 15 posters will be accepted for
presentation at this conference. If you would like to receive additional
details about the meeting, please use this e-mail link and give us your
name, e-mail address, and telephone and Fax number or contact us at:

Network Science Corporation
412 Carolina Blvd
Isle of Palms, SC 29451
Tel: (843)886-5008
Fax: (843)886-5924
E-mail: [email-masked]

                   The Accommodations

The Wild Dunes conference center, located near historic Charleston South
Carolina, offers a variety of activities including two and one-half miles
of private beach, two world class golf courses, several tennis courts, and
a heated pool. Housing will be available beginning Saturday, March 13. To
facilitate a lively exchange of ideas with colleagues in a casual setting,
attendance at this meeting will be limited.

A block of rooms has been reserved with the conference center at a special
discounted rate for attendees. Rooms have also been reserved at the new Inn
at Wild Dunes. Room rates for either single or double occupancy are listed
below. Accommodations can be secured with a deposit equivalent to one
night's rate. If you have questions, please contact us via e-mail at
[email-masked].

The Boardwalk Villas at Wild Dunes Resort are three and four floor
structures with a central staircase. Each floor offers a bedroom with a
separate security lock and key, private bath, television, telephone with
voice mail, and coffee maker. The Villas are located in the area of the
Grand Pavilion, near the Island House Conference Center. A number of the
Villas are oceanfront.

The Villa rooms contain either a queen, king or two double beds. There is a
resort amenity fee of $9.00 per day charged to each room. The fee covers
on-property transportation, access to the fitness center, one hour daily
court time at the tennis center, incoming faxes, unlimited local calls, and
no access fees for 800-number, credit card or collect calls.

Rooms in the newly opened Boardwalk Inn are $119 per night. Each room is
furnished with either a king bed or two queen beds. Smoking and non-smoking
rooms are available. The Inn features an excellent restaurant, The Grill,
which offers both indoor and outdoor dining.

Cancellations: We regret that refunds will not be issued for room
accommodations canceled after January 30, 1999.

[ -------------------------------------------------------- ]

                          Other Information

Publications: Network Science Corporation's policy for the Charleston
Conference states that there shall be no publication of information
disclosed at the Conference without prior written approval from both the
contributor quoted and the Conference Coordinator, except where the
contributor initiates release of a contribution, in which case the approval
of the Coordinator is not required. Only the Conference Coordinator may
publish or release for publication non-technical information concerning the
Charleston Conference.

Payments: The conference registration fee is $895 ($695, academic). This
includes all breakfasts, lunches, refreshments, Monday evening's dinner,
and the conference party on Tuesday evening. Payment is required to process
your registration. Please enclose a personal or company check made payable
to Network Science Corporation (EIN: 57-1038302) or FAX your registration,
Visa or MasterCard number, and expiration date to Network Science at
(843)886-5924. You may also register by phone with a Visa or MasterCard by
calling (843)886-5008.

Cancellations: All cancellations will be subject to a $200 administration
fee. In order to receive a prompt refund, your notice of cancellation must
be received in writing (by letter or fax). The registration may be
transferred to another member of your organization for attendance at this
meeting only. In the event of a conference cancellation, Network Science
Corporation assumes no liability for non-refundable transportation costs,
hotel accommodations or additional costs incurred by registrants. Network
Science regrets that cancellations can be accepted only up to January 30,
1999. After this time, no refunds can be issued.

For those attendees who do not wish to rent a car, Network Science has made
arrangements with Charleston Express to provide shuttle service from the
Charleston Airport to Wild Dunes with a return at the end of the
conference. If you would like to take advantage of this service, please
indicate your arrival and departure date and time on your registration
form. The roundtrip cost for the shuttle is $35 which can be charged to
your Visa or MasterCard at the time of registration.

[---------------------------------------------------------]

Registration Form
Meeting and Housing

Please Note: This form will reserve your space at the Charleston
Conference. In order to guarantee your reservation, you must send your
payment and registration form to Network Science at:

Network Science Corporation
412 Carolina Blvd.
Isle of Palms, SC 29451
Tel: 843-886-5008
Fax: 843-886-5924
E-mail: [email-masked]

Name:

Badge Name:

Title:

Department:

Company:

Address:

City:

State:

Code:

Country:

Phone:

Fax:

Home Phone (For hotel reservations):

E-mail address:

Arrival Date (check in 4:00 p.m.)

Departure Date (check out 11:00 a.m.)

Do you need shuttle service from the airport to Wild Dunes?

Arrival Flight Information:

Number of people in your party:

Registration fee:

Commercial ($895)
Academic ($695)
Speaker

Please select your choice of accommodations from the options listed below:

Type of Unit
Rate per Night
----------------------------------------------------------------
First floor Boardwalk Room (828 square feet that
includes a private kitchen and living room)                   $115.00**

Boardwalk Room second floor (360 square feet)            $84.00**

Boardwalk Room third floor (280 square feet)               $84.00**

Boardwalk Room fourth floor (425 square feet)             $94.00**

The Inn at Wild Dunes
$119.00**

**All room rates are for single or double occupancy. Rates do not include
6% South Carolina State Sales Tax, 5% South Carolina Accommodations Tax and
a $9/day Service Charge.

All accommodations require a two night minimum stay. A deposit equal to one
night's stay is due with registration to secure your reservation. All
reservations should be made as early as possible in order to guarantee
specific accommodations and group rates. Your advance deposit will be
applied to your account or be returned with 14 days notice should
cancellation be necessary. Should you cancel less than 30 days before
arrival, or fail to cancel a reservation, your one night's deposit will be
forfeited. Please note that Wild Dunes is comprised of privately owned
villas; therefore, bedding arrangements are not standardized as in hotels.

Credit Card:        Visa          MasterCard

Credit Card Number:

Expiration Date:

If it is more convenient, please print this registration form and FAX it to
Network Science at (843)886-5924 or mail it to:

Network Science Corporation
412 Carolina Blvd
Isle of Palms, SC 29451