Subject: ISMB'99, first call for tutorials

From: Daniel Hoffmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 21:13:00 +0100

FIRST CALL FOR TUTORIALS

                 The Seventh International Conference on
         Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology (ISMB '99)
                        August 6 - August 10, 1999
                          Heidelberg, Germany
                          http://ismb99.gmd.de

    Sponsored by the International Society for Computational Biology
      (in cooperation with the American Association for Artificial
       Intelligence, the German Informatics Society, and DECHEMA)

  ATTEND ONE OF THE PREMIER INTERNATIONAL MEETINGS IN BIOINFORMATICS
        AND ENJOY THE RARE SIGHT OF A TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE

Because of the interdisciplinary nature of the community, the
educational
tutorial program at ISMB has developed into an important component of
the
conference. As in previous years, the first day of the conference
(Aug 6, 1999) will be devoted to tutorials. ISMB'99 tutorials will
involve
either half-day (3-4 hours) or full-day (6-7) hours of instruction, and
will require the advance preparation of high quality, peer reviewed
materials for the students.

We are soliciting proposals for introductory or advanced tutorials
appropriate to this diverse conference community.  Below is a sample of
some previous tutorial topics:

  - Introduction to Intelligent Systems for Biologists
  - Introduction to Biology for Computer Scientists
  - Protein Structure Prediction
  - Protein Evolution
  - Statistical Foundations for Multiple Sequence Alignment
  - Computational Methods for Molecular Docking

These are indicative of the type and scope of the proposals that we are
soliciting this year. We are also interested in proposals involving
recent
advances in the field that have not previously been covered by ISMB
tutorials.

All tutorial instructors will receive an honorarium and have conference
fees waived. In cases where there are multiple instructors, the
honorarium
will be shared among them.

The organizers reserve the right to cancel tutorials which do not have a
reasonable attendance. In such cases, advance warning  will be given a
partial honorarium may be paid to the instructor(s) depending on the
amount
of advanced work carried out for the tutorial.

Key Dates:

    Abstracts due:      January 10, 1999
    Full proposals due: February 5, 1999
    Reply to proposals: March 26, 1999
    Draft handouts due: April 25, 1999
    Final handouts due: June 20, 1999

If you are interested in proposing a tutorial, please send a short
(approximately one page) indication of your interest, describing the
context of the tutorial, its importance to the ISMB audience and your
qualifications to teach it. These are due no later than January 10, 1999
and should be sent via email to:

      Hans-Werner Mewes
      ISMB999 Tutorial Coordinator
      [email-masked]

Note that in the past we have received more applications for tutorials
than
slots, so please make a clear case for the appropriateness of your
proposed
tutorial.