Subject: CCL: Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center Supercomputing Techniques: Parallel Processing on CRAY MPP Systems

From: Stephanie Dobler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:41:40 -0500

Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
 Supercomputing Techniques: Parallel Processing on CRAY MPP Systems

The PSC will offer a workshop to students and researchers
associated with Pennsylvania academic institutions on

                      January 27-29, 1999
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
              REGISTRATION DEADLINE:  December 28, 1998
 -------------------------------------------------------------------

 PURPOSE:

 The purpose of this three day workshop is to introduce
 participants to parallel processing on the CRAY T3E and to explore
 more advanced topics, including message passing, performance monitoring
and
 optimization techniques.

 AGENDA:

 The first two days of this workshop have been designed to introduce
 participants to the CRAY T3E environment, compiling, debugging,
 job submission, and parallel programming concepts. 

 On the third day, more advanced topics will be covered,
 including parallel programming techniques (message passing,
 shared memory libraries), code performance and optimization strategies.

 To ensure quality training, our workshops
 incorporate both lectures and extensive hands-on lab sessions.
 Programming exercises are carefully designed to reinforce concepts and
 techniques taught in class. Our instructors have strong scientific and
 technical backgrounds and are available for individual consultation
 during lab sessions.

 In addition to the lab exercises, lab time will also be available for
 participants to optimize their own code with the help and
 supervision of our instructors.  Participants are encouraged to bring
 their own code, but not required.

 ==> A working knowledge of FORTRAN or C and UNIX is required.
 ==> Parallel computing experience is not necessary.

 REGISTRATION:

Registration fees are waived to students, professors or researchers
associated with academic institutions in the state of Pennsylvania.

Please complete and return the registration form below
by December 28, 1998 to:

 Workshop Application Committee
 ATTN: Dr. Marcela Madrid
 Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
 4400 Fifth Avenue
 Pittsburgh, PA  15213.

 You may also apply for this workshop by sending the requested
information
 via electronic mail to [email-masked] or via fax to (412/268-5832).

 HOUSING AND TRAVEL:

 Housing and travel are the responsibility of participants, but we will
 provide information on local hotels at your request. Group rates for
 local hotels are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

 For additional online information, please visit the workshop's homepage
at
 http://www.psc.edu/training/MPP_Jan99/welcome.html
 or contact the workshop coordinator at [email-masked]

========================================================================
 Name:

 Please circle one:      Ms.     Mr.     Dr.     Prof.

 Department:

 Univ Affiliation:

 Address:

 Telephone:  W (   )               H(   )

 Electronic Mail Address:

 Social Security Number:

 Citizenship:

 Are you a PSC user (yes/no)?
 If yes, please give your PSC username:

 Academic Standing (please check one):
   F - Faculty          UG - Undergraduate                  I
-Industrial
  PD - Postdoctorate    UR - University Research Staff     
GV-Government
  GS - Graduate Student UN - University Non-Research Staff   O - Other

 Please explain why you are interested in attending this workshop and
what
 you hope to gain from it.

 _______________________________________________________________________
 NOTE: THE FOLLOWING TWO QUESTIONS MUST BE COMPLETED FOR THE
 APPLICATION TO RECEIVE CONSIDERATION.
 _______________________________________________________________________

 1. Briefly describe your computing background (scalar, vector, and
 parallel programming experience; platforms; languages):

 2. Briefly describe your research interests:

 Please indicate the workshop for which you are applying:

 All applicants will be notified of acceptance during the week of
 January 4, 1999.