Subject: Re: CCL:G:Linux vs Windows 95 vs Windows NT

From: Ruth Tanner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 17:16:30 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, Lic. Domingo M. Vera wrote:

> Dear Ruth
> 	Perhaps you expect an answer such as "Linux can run g94 jobs faster 
> than Windows" or "Linux is really a multi-tasking, multi-user, networked OS", 
> etc..

I'm no fan of Windows but I want to set up an inexpensive system that can
be easily maintained when I'm not the sys admin anymore.  Besides --- I
love Unix, but not everyone shares my feelings.  If I want to convince my
supervisor that Unix is the way to go, I need some stats about running
time and efficiency (specifically regarding Gaussian 98) that show that
Unix is the preferred platform.

In terms of cost Unix can be the much more expensive option...

On Gaussian's web page (www.gaussian.com), they list the price of
Gaussian 98 for Windows being $600 (academic price including assorted
documentation) while the Unix version is $2000 (for a New site-wide
license for a single machine type - Academic) plus Utilities ($200).  If
you have a site-wide license for a single machine type (say SGI hardware)
then you can add an additional machine type for $200.  [Everything I have
quoted from the web page is in US dollars]

Ruth

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ruth Tanner 						 [email-masked] 
Masters Student in Physical Chemistry			Chemistry Department 
B.Sc. Chemical Physics (Co-op) 			 Minor in English Literature 
University of Guelph 			    http://www.uoguelph.ca/~rtanner/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is 
by being always absolutely over-educated." 		Oscar Wilde
============================================================================