Subject: Re: CCL:Re: CCL:G:Linux vs Windows 95 vs Windows NT

From: Ben Cornett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 14:57:47 -0500

Ruth Tanner wrote:

>  If I want to convince my
> supervisor that Unix is the way to go, I need some stats about running
> time and efficiency (specifically regarding Gaussian 98) that show that
> Unix is the preferred platform.
> 

Dear Ruth,
I would be surprised if Gaussian runtimes differed very much between the
two OSes.
If they do, I expect it would be mainly dependent on the quality of the
different
compilers used, rather than OS performances. However, as D. Mariano. A.
Vera points
out, it's nice not to have your machine crash during a calculation :-)

Likely as not you have seen this, but there is a nice paper by Nicklaus
et al
in J. Chem. Inf. Comput. Sci, 38(5)893-905 1998, which discusses
Gaussian 
calculations on linux-based PCs. 

Please post a summary if you hear from anyone who has done a fair
benchmark comparing
G runtimes under windows and linux. Thanks.

Best,

Ben Cornett
Emory University
Atlanta, GA US