Subject: Re: CCL:G:Linux vs Windows 95 vs Windows NT

From: Ulrike Salzner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 08:38:08 +0200 (EET)

Dear PC users,
I am running G94 for a bit more than a year and G98 for about two month 
around the clock under Windows95. I never had a system crash. Only with 
G98 frequency calculations I sometimes get the message that the program 
has performed a illegal operation and will shut down (l1101). Therefore I 
think that stability is not a crucial problem.

The most important point is, in my opinion, whether the performnace would be 
better with Linux. I was told figures between 50% faster to no 
difference, as suggested by Ben Cornett. Is there anybody who  k n o w s  
rather than guesses how the two OSs compare?

Gaussian is really easy to use under windows. Installation takes about ten 
minutes and than it runs without any problems. How much more can you wish 
for?

Seasons Greetings,
Uli Salzner

===================================================================

Dr. Ulrike Salzner

Department of Chemistry		Tel.: (312) 290-2122
Bilkent University		Fax.: (312) 266-5097
06533 Bilkent, Ankara 		e-mail: [email-masked]
Turkey

====================================================================

---

From: Kiss Gergo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:08:47 +0100 (NFT)

> minutes and than it runs without any problems. How much more can you wish 

---  "Windows was designed to keep the idiots away from Unix so we could
hack in peace.  Let's not break that." - Tom Christiansen (Perl Journal)

Kiss Gergo
PhD Student
Szent-Gyorgyi Albert Orvostudomanyi Egyetem Orvosvegytani Intezet
Albert Szent-Gyorgyi Medical University Department of Medical Chemistry
H-6720 Szeged, Dom ter 8.
(+36) 62-454-000/2889

---

From: Jussi Eloranta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 10:29:24 +0200 (EET)

Dear Netters,

One more advantage of using Linux is the good possibility for remote
access (via modem or net). It is nice to monitor and start jobs from
home ;-) Also for large installations cluster type of setups may be
important which is another plus for Linux.

The only thing I could think Linux is faster at is the hard disk access
since Linux has better disk caching and drivers.

BTW someone mentioned that windows version is easy to use but at least
I find the windows more difficult to use than Linux. I depends what
one has got used to, I guess. Try, for example, to do:

% foreach dist (... large number of distances ....)
>  set energy = `fgrep UMP4\(SDQ\)= run-$dist.log | cut -c45-`
>  echo $dist $energy >> energy.dat
>  set hfc = `fgrep '2  H' run-$dist.log | tail -1 | cut -c36-47`
>  echo $dist $hfc >> hfc.dat
> end

with a mouse ;-) I would hate to do this kind of stuff with a simple
text editor... (ok, some day I will learn perl..) Not to mention that
complex stream of runs which require editing of input job after completing
one computation cycle.

Best regards,

Jussi Eloranta

ps. Linux is free too (apart from good fortran compiler) - windoze is not.

---

From: Stefan Konietzny <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:07:32 +0100 (CET)

Dear Gergo,

>Kiss Gergo PhD Student Szent-Gyorgyi Albert Orvostudomanyi Egyetem
>Orvosvegytani Intezet Albert Szent-Gyorgyi Medical University Department
>of Medical Chemistry H-6720 Szeged, Dom ter 8. (+36) 62-454-000/2889

Do you think that this is funny? I dont think so. People try to discuss
the pros and cons of two operating systems and i think it helps noone to
insult those who like to use Windows or who just want to know if it is
worth to try g98w.
The question is not what you love or hate, or what you think about people
who use one or the other, but which experiences you have made. 
I hope the others who discussed this subject seriously agree with me.

Merry Christmas to everyone,

Stefan Konietzny.

---

From: Ben Cornett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:26:49 -0500

> I hope the others who discussed this subject seriously agree with me.

I agree.
Let's not have yet another ridiculous OS holy war on this mailing list.

Ben Cornett

---

From: "Przemyslaw G. Czyryca" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 10:01:34 -0800

> minutes and than it runs without any problems. How much more can you wish 

Easy accessibility from other hosts, for example. This makes your work
much more efficient if you can check the results and start a new job, say,
>from home on Sunday.

Regards,
 * Przemek Czyryca, [email-masked] *