Subject: Winter recess question

From: "Hr. Dr. S. Shapiro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:18:23 +0100

Dear Colleagues;

	Here is a question that someone might care to ponder during the "slowdown"
between Christmas and New Year's Day.

	Consider an amphipathic molecule containing a linear alkyl moiety, e.g. an
n-hexyl or n-octyl or n-decyl group.  When the molecule passes between
hydrophobic and hydrophilic milieux, it can be expected that the linear
alkyl moiety will experience changes in conformation: in a hydrophobic
environment the linear alkyl moiety may be stretched out, where as in a
hydrophilic environment it will probaby curl up on itself.  I should like
to know if there have been any studies on the _rate_ at which such
conformational transitions occur when paraffinic moieties such as those
considered above move between organic <---> aqueous phases.  Of course,
relevent references are most welcome.

	Thanking in advance all responders, and wishing all readers a joyous
holiday season and a happy, healthy, and successful New Year, I remain

Yours sincerely,

S. Shapiro
[email-masked]