Subject: Re: Linux vs Windows 95 vs Windows NT

From: val <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 22:34:25 -0800

> Easy accessibility from other hosts, for example. This makes your work
> much more efficient if you can check the results and start a new job, say,
> from home on Sunday.
> 
> Regards,
>  * Przemek Czyryca, [email-masked] *

i)
Good! The above mentioned things are really true, since every linux
machine is rather stable telnet, ftp, www and email server just after
the installation without any additional work.

ii)
Moreover, one can use an automatic process control systems (like NQS,
for example) to set up a number of jobs in sequential, parallel or
mixed mode (i.e. during weekends, conference travels, vacations, or
just on a multi-user quantum chemistry server) and the system will 
run all of them in intelligent manner taking into account the 
resources available.

iii)
Next, in some critical cases, when a task reaches the limit of
the hardware, one can unload all the GUI applications and the XWindows
itself. In this case the calculation process will use 99% CPU time 
and 99% of RAM available. The same hardly could be possible for any of
w95/wnt machines (look how much memory and CPU time the GUI sometimes
requires ;-)
All the things pointed out in i) and ii) don't need GUI, so they will
work perfectly correct, finely, GUI can be started again after the 
critical point completion (without having to restart the system).

However, it's clear now that Linux-Windows problem does not have
an universal solution.
So, I would suggest to discuss more detailed questions, rather than
L. vs W. in general.

best regards,
Valentin.

====================================================================
                                             ,         ,      ,   ,
Valentin P. Ananikov                         |\\\\ ////|     /////|
NMR Group                                    | \\\|/// |    ///// |
ND Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry   |  |~~~|  |   |~~~|  |
Leninsky Prospect 47                         |  |===|  |   |===|  |
Moscow  117913                               |  |   |  |   |   |  |
Russia                                       |  | A |  |   | Z |  |
                                              \ |   | /    |   | /
e-mail: [email-masked]                     \|===|/     |===|/
http://nmr.ioc.ac.ru/Staff/AnanikovVP/          '---'      '---'
  Fax +7 (095)1355328   Phone +7 (095)9383536
====================================================================