Subject: Linux vs WindowsNT vs Windows95

From: "Dr. Peter Bladon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 12:57:03 +0000

Dear CCL community,

I cannot add anything to the discussion about the relative merits of
Linux vs Windows* at the present time.  However, in looking to the 
future, I would recommend that you should have a look at the 
following webpages:

http://www.opensource.org/halloween1.html
http://www.opensource.org/halloween2.html
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/highlights/editorletter.asp

The first two are transcripts (with highlights and reviewer comments) of
internal Microsoft memoranda; the first deals with open software in 
general terms, the second deals specifically with Linux, and they show
the attitude of MIcrosoft to what it regards as serious threats to
its business.  The third webpage is a response by Microsoft to the
publication of the first two.

All three documents show us (if we didnt already know) how much the
development of computing is being controlled by one organisation, and
should serve as a warning to us.  

Worrying too is the move being made by SGI (who have hitherto been
the providers of high-end hardware for computational chemistry) to adopt
WindowsNT  as an OS (I think that I am reminded of the Blackwidow spider
which eats its mate after mating).

I sorry to bring to your notice such depressing items at this season of
the year.  Nevertheless let me extend to all of you my best wishes for 
the remainder of the Christmas season and for the New Year.

Yours sincerely

Peter Bladon.