Subject: Re: CCL:G:serial/parallel run in G98

From: Omar Stradella <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 12:42:56 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, diana liu wrote:

> Happy New Year!
> Is there anybody out there who is willing to share his experience in
> serial/parallel run in G98, for example, how to set flags to tell the
> computer in which way you want the job to be run? Using an Origin200
> with two processors, how do you set a single job to run on both
> processors (in a parallel way) or set two jobs to run on each
> processor (in a serial way)?
> I look through the online manual and did not find the answer. Is there
> a limit concerning how many jobs you can run at the same time?
> 

Diana,

Just add a line like this to the top of the input file:

%NProc=2

this will make that job run on two processors. If you want to run 2 
uniprocessor jobs, just start them, each one will tend to run on one 
of the 2 cpus as long as nothing else is running on the machine.
You can ran more uniprocessor jobs than available cpus at the same
time but, since they will have to share resources (cpus, memory, disk),
the times to completion will grow accordingly.

Omar.
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
Omar G. Stradella, Ph.D.                    Supercomputing Applications 
Silicon Graphics, Inc.                          Computational Chemistry
One Cabot Road, Hudson, MA 01749, USA           N 42 22'40" W 71 33'44"
E-mail: [email-masked] Phone: +1-978-567-2258 FAX: +1-978-562-4755 
http://www.sgi.com/ChemBio                  http://reality.sgi.com/omar 
+--------  Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn  -------+