Subject: Re: CCL:ANSI C++ question?

From: Sigismondo Boschi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 16:02:58 +0100 (MET)

Yes, C++ has been standardized by a committee of standardization ISO/ANSI.

the most important name is "Bjarne Stroustrup" (the c++ "creator"), that has 
recently published a book about the ANSI C++, very nice indeed:

"The C++ Programming Language", third edition.

I strongly suggest it.

STL is now part of the ansi/iso standard of c++. The press release of 
C++ ISO standard can be found here:

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/iso_release.html
Here you can find either some interesting links.

The ANSI drafts of the standard are not at disposal in any electronic 
form: they have to be requested directly to "ANSI":

>From a FAQ:
You can get a paper copy of the standard from ANSI. Either send email to 
Lynn Barra ([email-masked]) or send a letter to the address below, and 
ask for the latest version  of "Draft Proposed American National 
Standard for Information  Systems - Programming Language C++" which is 
document number CD14882. 
It is typically shipped 2-day FedEx within the continental US. If you 
want to order via snail mail, send a letter to X3 Secretariat / 1250 Eye 
Street NW / Suite 200 / Washington, DC 20005 / 202-626-5738.  

Finally, reporting from a FAQ:

C++ has been standardized by ANSI (The American National Standards 
Organization), BSI (The British Standards Institute), DIN (The German 
National
Standards Organization), several other national standards bodies, and ISO 
(The International Standards Organization). The ISO standard has been
finalized and adopted by unanimous vote Nov 14, 1997. 
The ANSI-C++ committee is called "X3J16". The ISO C++ standards group is 
called "WG21". The major players in the ANSI/ISO C++ standards
process includes just about everyone: representatives from Australia, 
Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, the Netherlands, New
Zealand, Sweden, the UK, and the USA, along with representatives from 
about a hundred companies and many interested individuals. Major players
include AT&T, Ericsson, Digital, Borland, Hewlett Packard, IBM, Mentor 
Graphics, Microsoft, Silicon Graphics, Sun Microsystems, and Siemens. After
about 8 years of work, this standard is now complete. On November 14, 
1997, the standard was approved by a unanimous vote of the countries that had
representatives present in Morristown. Final ratification by two dozen 
countries is expected by March 1998. 

 --------------------------------------- ---------------------------------
|Sigismondo Boschi                      |tel: +39 51 6171559              |
|CINECA (Gruppo Supercalcolo) - INSTM   |fax: +39 51 6132198              |
|via Magnanelli, 6/3                    |e-mail: [email-masked]       |
|40033 Casalecchio di Reno (Bologna)    |                                 |
|ITALY                                  |                                 |
 --------------------------------------- ---------------------------------

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Fenglou Mao wrote:

> Dear all,
>      I am wondering if there is a ANSI C++ standard, and if have one,
> where I can find an introduction about it. And how about STL(standard
> template library) defined in ANSI C++, and how to find some introduction 
> about it?
> 
> Sincerely Yours,
> 
> FengLou Mao
> *******************************
> ADD:Mr. FengLou Mao
>     Peking University
>     BeiJing
>     P.R.China
> Tel:86-10-62751490
> Fax:86-10-62751725
> 
> 
> 
> -------This is added Automatically by the Software--------
> -- Original Sender Envelope Address: [email-masked]
> -- Original Sender From: Address: [email-masked]
> [email-masked]: Everybody | [email-masked]: Coordinator
> [email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH | Gopher: www.ccl.net 73
> Anon. ftp: www.ccl.net   | [email-masked] -- archive search
>              Web: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html 
>