Subject: Re: CCL:New ideas for chemistry software

From: Jochen Kuepper <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2135 23:03:00 +0100

Regarding the summary of new ideas:

Dear All,
please keep in mind that PC does not mean Microsoft !
There have been several statements that want to get programs ported to Windows
to be able to run them on "cheap" PC-hardware.
Since there are many OSs that run these programs on exactly that cheap
hardware, I would not see this urgent need for porting but would like the
programs to be enhanced in functionality !

PS: I know at least 10 OSs of very different flavour running on exactly this PC
hardware, of which MS_DOS(+Win3.1+Win9x) and Windows NT are only two, and will
be only one really soon, since the DOS branch is declared death already by
Microsoft.
Moreover basically all of this can be installed in parallel on the same machine.

So I would strongly suggest to work on the science part of the programs, not
the operating system topics.

Greetings,
Jochen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Jochen K"upper

  Heinrich-Heine-Universit"at D"usseldorf   [email-masked]
  Institut f"ur Physikalische Chemie I
  Universit"atsstr. 1, Geb 26.43 Raum 02.29    phone ++49-211-8113681
  40225 D"usseldorf                            fax   ++49-211-8115195
  Germany             http://www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~jochen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------