Subject: Re: CCL:ANSI C++ question?

From: "Nick Rhodes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:18:45 +0000

------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
From:          Self <RAMSLEY/LI1NR>
To:            Fenglou Mao <[email-masked]>
Subject:       Re: CCL:ANSI C++ question?
Date:          Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:17:16 +0000

>      I am wondering if there is a ANSI C++ standard, and if have one,
> where I can find an introduction about it. And how about STL(standard
> template library) defined in ANSI C++, and how to find some introduction 
> about it?

Apparently there is - or at least an advanced draft. From a message 
on alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++

<begin include>
22: Where can I obtain a copy of the standards for C and C++?

     You cannot obtain copies of the standards for free. This is
     because the standards organisations earn a large part of their
     revenue from selling printed copies.

     The C FAQ tells you how you can obtain copies of the C standard.
     You could also buy "The Annotated ANSI C Standard", by the
     afore-mentioned Herbert Schildt (question 13). Make sure that you
     ignore the annotations completely, however.

     The C++ standard can be obtained online directly from the ANSI
     Electronic Standards store . After registering yourself for free,
     you can download the document in Adobe PDF format on payment of
     $18.00 (US) by credit card.
      http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/default.asp

     The standards documents can be daunting at first sight; meant as
     they are to be as formal and precise as possible. They are NOT
     suitable for learning from, but are intended rather to be used as
     the ultimate authority to check with on any language issue.

     Also, check the comp.std.c++ FAQ.
      http://reality.sgi.com/austern_mti/std-c++/faq.html
<end include>

The whole message is at:
     http://www.raos.demon.co.uk/acllc-c++/faq.html

You might also want to look at:
     http://www.cis.nctu.edu.tw/c++/C++FAQ-English/ 

Nick
*****************************************************************
Nick Rhodes, Chemical Information Systems Research Group, 
Department of Information Studies, University of Sheffield, 
Regent Court, 211 Portobello Street, Sheffield, 
South Yorkshire, S1 4DP, United Kingdom.