Subject: benchmarking

From: Jochen Kuepper <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 10:18:46 +0100

On Don, 25 Feb 1999 Gregory A. Landrum wrote:
>Normally I stay silent on these things, but this comment was just a bit
>too indicative of general "benchmark abuse".

Absolutely.

>One more time, for good measure:
>If you want reliable benchmarks of *hardware* performance, you must
>compare the same programs on the different hardware.

Actually there are still many things to worry about then:
Compiler/Optimizer quality !
Math libraries !!!
 ...

You really need to test the system in the configuration you will run it,
otherwise there are just to many parameter to incorporate.

Greetings,
Jochen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Jochen Küpper

  Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf     [email-masked]
  Institut für Physikalische Chemie I
  Universitätsstr. 1, Geb 26.43 Raum 02.29     phone ++49-211-8113681
  40225 Düsseldorf                             fax   ++49-211-8115195
  Germany             http://www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~jochen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------