Subject: AMD K6 DGEMM and L-3 BLAS

From: Matt Challacombe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 08:49:28 -0700

Hi Jochen,

To my knowlege, there is no optimized BLAS for the AMD.
If you have the time, your best bet is probably to use 
PHiPAC to optimize a DGEMM specifically for your chip 
(http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~bilmes/phipac) or ATLAS
(www.cs.utk.edu/~rwhaley/ATLAS/errata.html).  My guess
is that these options will result in a faster DGEMM
than simply using the Greg Henry Intel optimized version.

You can then obtain DGEMM based level 3 BLAS routines
from netlib, which will take advantage of your optimized
DGEMM.  Unless you are doing exclusively level 1-2 ops,
having an optimized level 3 BLAS should make a big 
difference.

If you (or anyone else in CCL land) does the optimization
(it can take 1cpu week+), please let me know how it went. 

Regards, Matt

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+ Matt Challacombe, Ph.D.           http://www.t12.lanl.gov/~mchalla/ +
+ Los Alamos National Laboratory    email: [email-masked]       + 
+ Theoretical Division              vmail:   (505) 698-4112           +
+ Group T-12, Mail Stop B268        phone:   (505) 665-5905           +
+ Los Alamos, New Mexico  87545     fax:     (505) 665-3909           +
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+