Subject: MIF format

From: "Andruski, Stephen W." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 08:41:32 -0500

Does anyone out there know the status of the MIF (Molecular Information
File) format.  Searching the CCL archives, the most recent message on
this topic I found was ~1993.  I have searched the Internet and cannot
find any information out there, though a number of years ago the format
specification and preliminary data dictionary were available (I have
copies, but no longer remember whose Web site they were on).  This file
format seems like such a good idea for the archiving and transmittal of
molecular data (MO calculations, MM calculations, multiple
conformations, X-ray data, etc.) in a single file.  Much like the CIF
format now widely used for crystallographic data, the content is
extensible using data dictionaries and could accommodate a large amount
of different data for different uses.

My gut feeling is that no group or Society has taken the lead in
promoting this file format and interest has therefor waned.  Perhaps the
ACS Division of Computers in Chemistry would be an appropriate group to
do this.  

I hope that there is some interest out there.  I will gladly summarize
the responses I get.  Thank you.

Steve Andruski
> *********************************** 
> Dr. Stephen W. Andruski
> Senior Research Chemist II
> Albany Molecular Research, Inc.
> 21 Corporate Circle
> Albany, New York 12203 USA
> Tel. (518) 464-0279, Ext. 3303
> Fax (518) 464-0289
> http://www.albmolecular.com
> E-mail:  [email-masked]
>  ************************************ 
> 
>