Subject: Question about literature retrieval...

From: "Dr. Eric Walters" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:38:55 -0600

Hi CCLers,

What is the current state of the art in chemistry literature searching &
retrieval?

I am located at a medical school with an excellent medical journal
collection, but our chemistry journals are almost nonexistent.  For
biochemical/biomedical literature, I can use Medline for free & find many
of the journals in-house.  When I need chemistry literature I have to
either order it through our library (takes 2-3 weeks & is expensive) or
drive down to Northwestern Univ (takes a half a day to go down, use the
library, & drive back).  We don't even have Chem Abstracts in-house.

Many journals are not on-line yet.  What is the best on-line option for
literature searching?  What is the fastest way to get copies of papers you
need?  What is the most cost-effective way?  Thanks for your suggestions--I
will summarize in a week or so.

Best regards,

Eric

* D. Eric Walters, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
* Finch University of Health Sciences/The Chicago Medical School
* 3333 Green Bay Road, North Chicago, IL  60064
* ph 847-578-8613;fax 847-578-3240; email: [email-masked]
* "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that
*  no one would find fault with what he had done." --Cardinal Newman
* * * visit my web page! http://www.finchcms.edu/biochem/walters.html * * *