Subject: Re: Computational Chemist vs Theoretical Chemist

From: Stefan Konietzny <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:29:29 +0100 (CET)

Hello everybody,

If you take this question serious for yourself, stop reading and delete
the message NOW.

we are using a computer to do theoretical chemistry. I think there was a
time when people did theoretical chemistry without a computer. They were
theoretical chemists but not computational chemists.
So what about Computational Theoretical Chemist. But Computation
implements that it is theoretical; no?
Or is it only theoretical, when it is really theoretical, i mean when you
calculate things that man has never seen before. 
We can use the term Applied Theoretical Chemist, for those who calculate
things the Lab-Chemist (or is it a Synthetical Chemist?) has synthesized.
But there is organic, inorganic, physical...
Oh my good, in the end its Physical Chemistry!
I think i am falling more and more into an identity crisis. I am
calculating (we are all calculators!) inorganic molecules (although there 
is carbon in it, they are inorganic).
Until i know who or what i am, i call myself:

Molecular Modeller in Applied Theoretical Inorganic Computational Quantum
Chemistry.  

:-)

Stefan.

!!!!!    reply to: [email-masked]     !!!!!
finger or talk request: [email-masked]
****************************************************************
*                      Stefan Konietzny                        *
*--------------------------------------------------------------* 
*Fachbereich Chemie, AK Frank  |  Dept. of Chemistry           *
*Universitaet Kaiserslautern   |  University of Kaiserslautern *
*Erwin-Schroedingerstr.        |  Erwin-Schroedingerstr.       *
*67663 Kaiserslautern          |  D-67663 Kaiserslautern       *
*0631/205-2964                 |  +49-631/205-2964             *
****************************************************************