Subject: QM and Mathematica

From: Pablo Vitoria Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 19:44:03 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi all,

I am attending a graduate course in magnetism (molecular and extended),
and
I would like to do some work and exercises in Mathematica. I wonder if
somewhere out there in the Net there is a Notebook (or package) with stuff
like operators, spin functions, ... already defined. I mean, for example,
a
package to calculate matrix elements of Sz, LzSz,... or other operators.

Thank you very much for any information

Pablo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pablo Vitoria Garcia 
Departamento de Quimica Inorganica, Facultad de Ciencias
Universidad del Pais Vasco (UPV/EHU)
Apartado 644, E-48080 Bilbao
SPAIN
e-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: +34 94 6012000 Ext. 5529
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Nguyen N. Anh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:03:53 -0500

> package to calculate matrix elements of Sz, LzSz,... or other operators.

Hi Pablo,
Your request seems a little bit specific. I don't know of any package that fits
your demand and do wonder to know if such a package exists at all. I think you
should take a package you consider the best and then develop it to suit your
goals.

 I have some sugetions:

- A good book dealing with quantum mechanics using Mathematica is: J.M.Feagin,
Quantum Methods with Mathematica (TELOS, Springer, New-York, 1994)
- Take a look at the Computer Physics Communications program library
http://www.cpc.cs.qub.ac.uk.
There is a lot of symbolic packages wich may be useful
- We're developing a package that deals with QM noncommutative operators,
unitary transformations etc. With it we can define spin operators, ladder
operators and do some rotations. The reference is: Computer Physics
Communications 115(1998) 183-199

Good luck

Best regards

-- 
Nguyen Nam Anh   Quebec, Canada
E-mail: [email-masked]
WWW: http://promethium.chm.ulaval.ca/~anh/