Subject: Second Call for Papers - "Management of Reaction Information for the Synthetic Chemist" - ACS New Orleans

From: Guenter Grethe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 09:03:42 -0700

The Division of Chemical Information of the American Chemical Society is
planning a symposium on "Management of Reaction Information for the
Synthetic Chemist" for the Fall ACS Meeting in New Orleans, August 22 - 26,
1999.  A similar symposium was held at an ACS National Meeting several years
back and in 1997 (Las Vegas ACS) where recent developments in
reaction databases were discussed.  The dramatic increase over the last few
years in the
size of databases and the shift towards combinatorial chemistry requires new
approaches for the effective handling of available information.  

During the symposium the tools under development or available today to the
practicing synthetic chemist for effectively planning the synthesis of an
individual compound or a compound library will be discussed. These include
reaction retrieval and prediction, available databases, electronic access to
the primary literature, post-search data management and others. The use of
available
programs to manage the very large amount of information now available should
be stressed.
Questions such as "How can infrequent users get the most relevant answers to
solve their
problems?" and "How can electronic tools mimick the way chemists are now
getting their
answers from a variety of sources (hardcopies)?"  should be answered.  A
critical look at existing
problems and possible solutions would enhance the value of the presentation.

Abstracts should be submitted electronically by April 15, 1999 by accessing
the URL http://207.244.115.201/acs/218nm/cinf/papers/index.cgi

If you  need more information about the symposium contact me at the address
given below.

Dr. Guenter Grethe
Director, Scientific Applications
Product Development
MDL Information Systems, Inc.
14600 Catalina Street, CA 94577
Tel.: (+1) 510-357-2222 ext.1430
Fax: (1) 510-614-3616
e-mail: [email-masked]