Subject: summary: object-oriented programming tools

From: Christoph Maerker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:29:25 +0200 (MEST)

Universite Louis Pasteur
Postal-Address: 4, rue Blaise Pascal, F- 67000 Strasbourg FRANCE
Phone: +33/3-88-41-53-19
Fax:   +33/3-88-60-63-83
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4ME+ PL37 (25)]
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Length: 2200      

Dear netters,

here is the summary about object-oriented programming tools.
Thanks to Tim and James who had replied, see below. The problem with
Fortran (77) is that it is not an object-oriented language per se.
Nevertheless, it seems that some people have found have found a workaround
to make life easier.

Bien amicalement,
Christoph

=======================================
#1
Return-Path: <[email-masked]>

Christoph,

I don't know of any CASE tools for Fortran, but Rational Rose is
considered to be the best for OO design and it's the best selling.
TogetherJ works on Java, but they may also have a C++ version. Both
packages are very expensive, running about $2500-3600 for node locked
licenses.

Tim

=======================================
#2
>From [email-masked]  Wed Mar 31 05:58:39 1999

Hello, I have a solution that is not quite as magical as you would hope, but
it is a step in the right direction. The current version of Mungauss (formerly
MONSTORGAUSS) is writen using OSIPE. OSIPE is a set of low level FORTRAN
object oriented tools. OSIPE manages the creation, cataloging and retrieving
objects created by the Mungauss program. The programmer does not need to
to know or care about the route - OSIPE will handle the building of any objectss
you will need. You need only ask for a desired object, and OSIPE will determine
whether it has been built: if it is, it will be retrieved, else it will call the
necessary routines to build it. 

Objects in Mungauss can be scalars (e.g. total energy, dipole moment), vectors
(e.g. dipole vectors, Z-matrix parameters), matrices (e.g. density matrix, 
Cartesian coordinates), or tensors. 

The primary author of OSIPE and Mungauss is Dr. Raymond Poirier (Memorial 
University of Newfoundland, Canada). If you are interested in this code, I
would recommend you contact him. His e-mail address is [email-masked]

Good luck,
James Xidos
Graduate Student
Memorial University of Newfoundland
<  "You have the right to free speech - as long as ><   James Xidos    >
<   you're not dumb enough to actually try it!"    ><  -Newfie Greek-  >
<          -The Clash, "Know Your Rights"          ><    -Chemist-     >