Subject: Sorry from CCL coordinator, but there is hope...

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 19:19:49 -0400 (EDT)

Dear CCL members,

I will be brief, since after 3 nights and days, I am still not done.
We moved the CCL from ccl.net domain to the CCL.NET domain (it is still
very much OSC, since we are part of OSC, but we needed to offload the
OSC domain traffic (we were taking 90% of Web, FTP, and e-mail traffic on the
OSC main Web server, www.ccl.net -- yes, it is a lot...).

The funny thing is that in such cases things go wrong. I was hoping that
it will be surprise. We tested things, and they worked great (oh... maybe not
the Web site, we still need to fix links, search, and several other things,
though it is coming pretty nice... [self-pat on the back {:-0}].)
Some pages, notably: "How can you support CCL", wait for approvals and are
password protected (Oh yes, I will soon hide my pride and beg for
support {:-)}).

The problem is with e-mail distribution, though this time, I think, I fixed
most things. In the era of Melissas and spam, we rewrote all the distribution
software, and gave it a lot of hooks for future services (I am not selling
vapor, so I will tell you when I am ready). 

All worked fine, when we checked it in-and-out on about 30 address.
But when it got 3000, it choked. We still have to massage it to
make it reliable, robust, AND SAFE!!!. Bear with us, we are hopefully
zooming on it, though this message is a new test (I had to stop the
list when I saw that some of you get mail, some of you get it 3 times,
and some of you do not get it at all...).  Sorry... Be patient, 
it is for the better (believe me...). I am trying your patience, but
I have no other option. The real test is when I put the load on this thing.
I would send myself 3000 messages, if I could -- the sendmail gurus know,
that the sendmail is smart enough to see repeated entries and does not
send the stuff twice to the same place.

Now, please use ccl.net, rather then ccl.net. The redirects are there, and
will be there for a long time, since I did not want to waste your bookmarks.
Also, the old pages should be where they were, only www.ccl.net needs be
changed to www.ccl.net.
        [email-masked]  -- admins
        [email-masked] -- posting to the CCL List
        http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/ to our web server
           (also server.ccl.net, and ftp.ccl.net run the same Web stuff).
        ftp://ftp.ccl.net for the FTP and Gopher archive
        The idea is to be redundant, so all machines: server.ccl.net,
        www.ccl.net, and ftp.ccl.net will have essentially all stuff,
        and will share the load.

Thank you, and you will hear more, hopefully soon, when things stabilize.
I know, you are cursing me for the irregularities in the past few days,
but I promise, it will be better, and please understand, it was total
reorganization of the service, change of the system and supporting software.
I will start slowly to resend the stopped messages when I can see that it
works.

Jan
[email-masked]

Jan K. Labanowski            |    phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center    |    Internet: [email-masked] 
1224 Kinnear Rd,             |    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163      |    http://www.ccl.net/