Subject: Re: CCL:Unix program to plot energy maps

From: Guido Germano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:05:48 +0100

The problem with contour plots made with Gnuplot is that it doesn't
label the isolines. So far I found only commercial programs able to do
this under Unix (e.g. IDL, PV-WAVE, etc.).

Regards

Guido Germano

Theoretical Physics, University of Bristol, England
http://www.phy.bris.ac.uk/staff/germano_g.html

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Lev Gorenstein wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Luigi Cavallo wrote:
> 
> > I would like suggestions on programs that are able to plot iso-contours of
> > Z=Z(X,Y) like, for example, the energy vs. torsional angles in a
> > Ramachandran plot.
> > 
> > Please, no W95 programs. I need to run it on unix (linux) platforms.
> 
> There is a very nice and very powerfull program gnuplot
> (http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/gnuplot_info.html).
> 
> Another program that I use is PlotMTV (downloadable, for example,
> from http://aixpdslib.seas.ucla.edu/plot-tools/plotmtv4.html).  
> It's less powerful, but works pretty nice.

---

From: "Bruce A. Luxon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 23:59:30 -0500

Lev Gorenstein is correct - for free software use gnuplot.  Use gnuplot to
Adobe Illustrator like everbody else - it works extremely well and you have
complete artistic control.  This can produce first quality plots for
publication if you are willing to spend the time to learn Illustrator.

Bruce

Guido Germano wrote:
> -= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
> [email-masked] -- To Everybody    |   [email-masked] -- To Admins
> [email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
> [email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
> Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]

-- 

   Bruce A. Luxon, Ph.D.
   Associate Professor
   Sealy Center for Structural Biology
   Dept. of Human Biological Chemistry & Genetics
   University of Texas Medical Branch
   Galveston, TX   77555-1157
                              
   (409)747-6802; Fax (409)747-6850   http://www.hbcg.utmb.edu/ 
   mailto:[email-masked]          http://www.nmr.utmb.edu/

---

From: Rick Venable <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 12:12:16 -0400 (EDT)

Tim Pearson's PGPLOT library is a set of Fortran and C callable routines
that are widely used in the astronomy community, and which has contour
labeling capability.  There are a number of programs which implement CLI
and GUI interfaces to the library, as well as APIs for Octave, PERL,
Python, TCL, and Yorick.  For details, see

	http://astro.caltech.edu/~tjp/pgplot/

I compiled the library easily under HP-UX, and there are also Linux
binary distribution packages for e.g. Debian and Redhat. 

CLI == command line interface
GUI == graphical user interface
API == application program interface

> > > I would like suggestions on programs that are able to plot iso-contours 
> > > of Z=Z(X,Y) like, for example, the energy vs. torsional angles in a
> > > Ramachandran plot.

--
Rick Venable                  =====\     |=|    "Eschew Obfuscation"
FDA/CBER Biophysics Lab       |____/     |=|
Bethesda, MD  U.S.A.          |   \    / |=|  ( Not an official statement or
[email-masked]  |    \  /  |=|    position of the FDA; for that,
http://www.erols.com/rvenable       \/   |=|    see   http://www.fda.gov  )