Subject: Erroneous write. write -1 instead of 50250000

From: "Qadir K. Timerghazin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 02:24:33 +0500

Dear CCLers,

Using G98w I often get such error during hi-level calcualtions (MP4,
QCISD(T), etc.):

Erroneous write. write -1 instead of 50250000.
fd = 2
writwa

What's is this? How to fix this problem?

Best regards,
 Qadir Timerghazin                       mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Sigismondo Boschi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 17:32:39 +0200 (MDT)

Hi all,

I have got some similar errors with g98 (A6) on an IBM SP Power3, 
compiled with compiler version xlf 5.1. Is it an error due to the 
impossibility of writing some files, or is it a gaussian error?

I'm recompiling g98 (A7) with the new compiler, in order to see it changes 
something.

Thanks in advance.

kind regards

     Sigismondo Boschi

 -------------------------- ------------------------- --------------------
|                          |  http://incm.cineca.it  |                    |
|                           ------------ ------------                     |
|Sigismondo Boschi                       |tel: +39 051 6171559            |
|CINECA (High Performance Systems)       |fax: +39 051 6132198            |
|via Magnanelli, 6/3                     |e-mail: [email-masked]      |
|40033 Casalecchio di Reno (BO)-ITALY    |                                |
 --------------------------------------- ---------------------------------

---

From: Max Valdez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 11:57:51 -0600

Hi everybody
    That kind of error is due because the disc has no more space to write on it.
Make sure you will have enough space before you send that kind of calculation (or
when the molecule is too large). i had the same problem a few days ago.

    I hope this helps
    Waves
    Max

Sigismondo Boschi wrote:

> -= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
> [email-masked] -- To Everybody    |   [email-masked] -- To Admins
> [email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
> [email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
> Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]

---

From: WeiQuan Tian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:40:34 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

 Maybe it is not only the problem for disk space. I did a calculation
C26H12O with 6-31G* by BLYP. I have 2 GB disk space for scratch file and I
am sure that this calculation doesn't need more than 2GB disk space.
However the job stopped at l1002 for the frequency calculation. So I guess
it is due to memory, however, I have 128MB memory in PII350 and I included
120MB for the calculation. I was confused with this error. As in fact I
met the similar problem with UNIX, while I can't remember how I solved
such a problem.

 Wei Quan Tian
 Univ. of GUelph
 Canada