Subject: ScientificGL v1.2 API for Molecular Graphics

From: "Jason L. Douglas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 02:31:37 -0500

IF YOU DOWNLOADED THE BETA VERSION OF ScientificGL, I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND
GETTING THE OFFICIAL RELEASE!!! IT INCLUDES MANY BUG FIXES, A 40-PAGE
MANUAL, COMPILED DEMO PROGRAM (FOR WIN32 ONLY), AND COMPLETE SUPPORT FOR
GAMESS SURFACES!
The first official release of ScientificGL, v. 1.2, is now available, and
can be downloaded for free! It is an API meant to enable any scientific
programmer to easily add professional and realistic molecular graphics to
their C++ programs. The API is implemented as a C++ class (uncompiled source
code), and officially supports the following platforms: XWindows (including
UNIX, LINUX, IRIX, etc.), Windows 95/98/NT, Apple Macintosh, and OS/2. All
graphics are displayed in real-time and are interactive, and also take
advantage of any OpenGL-compatible graphics accelerators (i.e. SGI video
cards, Intergraph, 3DFX, 3Dlabs, Diamond, ELSA, and many others).
Programmers can easily display space-filling, ball-and-stick, tube, and
vector graphics. With a resident copy of GAMESS (which can be downloaded for
free) on the system, ScientificGL can also produce Connolly solvent,
geodesic, electron isodensity, and electrostatic isopotential surfaces, as
well as full electron density plots. Surfaces can be displayed in wireframe,
solid, or dot rendering modes, and can be colored (or alpha-blended for
transparency effects) any way you want! Check out a gallery of sample images
and download the full thing, complete with a 40-page manual (to help you get
started and serve as a reference) and a demo program for Windows that shows
off all of these features on a water molecule, at:
http://www.compbio.net/downloads/scientificgl.htm

Jason L. Douglas