Subject: ACS Short Course on "Electronic Notebooks and Knowledge Management Systems in Research and Development"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 05:11:05 GMT

Dear Colleague,

Attend the following exciting short course to be held in New Orleans, LA
on Friday, August 20th and Saturday, August 21st.

It is held two days before the start of the ACS Fall National Meeting.

Please register directly with the American Chemical Society using the phone
number at the end of this message.

Please register right away because open slots will fill up soon.

American Chemical Society (ACS) Continuing Education - Short Courses

"ELECTRONIC LAB NOTEBOOK AND KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT
SYSTEMS IN RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT"

This exciting and fast-moving course will captivate anyone needing to
know the legal, regulatory, technical, and social aspects of electronic
notebooks, recordkeeping, groupware, document management,
or other collaborative systems used in R&D or technical organizations.

It covers advanced automation technologies and concepts leading
to highly collaborative, knowledge-based R&D organizations.  It explains
and gives examples of the the latest concepts for electronic recordkeeping,
archving, electronic books and notebooks, and project data handling
systems tied into collaborative infrastructures.

WHO SHOULD ATTEND

Scientists, managers, engineers, MIS and computer support, librarians and
notebook administrators, archivists, knowledge managers, patent attorneys,
and industry regulators in the chemical, pharmaceutical, environmental,
biotech, food and beverage, aerospace, automotive, and related industries,
universities or government labs.

HOW YOU'LL BENEFIT FROM THIS COURSE

Stay current with the latest technologies, regulations, and legal
imperatives for laboratory recordkeeping.

Lead your company into the electronic recordkeeping age by
understanding critical requirements.

Quickly assess your company's infrastructure and cultural readiness to
use electronic lab notebooks; learn how to prepare them if they are not.

Learn how to enroll your Legal and Regulatory Affairs Departments as
partners rather than adversaries.

Learn when to buy versus build systems; how to grow them into
bull-blown R&D team computing systems for managing organizational
knowledge.

Get practical tips for evaluating and selecting vendors and systems.

See key products evaluated and demonstrated without vendor hype.

Receive top-notch materials and other resources to deepen your
understanding of concepts and systems in this course.

COURSE TOPICS

What are "electronic lab notebooks" and "R&D team computing systems?"

What is "knowledge management," its practices, and technologies?

How do these compare with groupware, document management,
collaborative computing, and other advanced automation tools?

Bottom-line business benefits and costs of systems and applications.

"Best practices" for R&D and testing laboratory recordkeeping.

The 13 fundamental properties of electronic records management systems
and organizations.

Electronic signature and notary systems and products available.

Satisfying the latest FDA, EPA, and Patent Office recordkeeping
regulations with electronic records and signatures.

Receive a seasoned interpretation of FDA's Rule 21 CFR Part 11 and
how to comply with it.

Basic and advanced technical system requirements.

Design and usability features that will "make or break" your projects.

How to move through potential cultural barriers to electronic notebooks
and other electronic collaboration systems.

Case studies and end-user experiences with home-brew and commercial
systems.

How to critically evaluate vendors and commercial products for fit.

A sampling of tools, technologies, and approaches for building systems.

THE INSTRUCTORS

This course is taught by two highly experienced automation specialists and
teachers with over two decades each of experience solving automation
problems.

Dr. Richard Lysakowski is the Executive Director of the Electronic Notebook
Systems Association, an international industry association dedicated to
market
development of electronic notebook systems and related systems for
laboratory
and R&D automation.

Dr. James T. Currie Jr. is a laboratory automation consultant and expert
who has
implemented many systems automated in validated environments.  He has been
involved in all phases of product and system development for many LIMS,
instrument interfacing, and related systems.

To register or to obtain additional information, e-mail us at
[email-masked]. Or, call us at 800-227-5558, ext. 4508, or
202-872-4508.