Subject: ANNOUNCE: JChemPaint 0.4

From: Christoph Steinbeck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:53:43 +0200

I'd like to announce the release of JChemPaint v0.4

JChemPaint is a Java program for drawing 2D chemical structures like
those found in most chemistry textbooks. Its GUI is based on the Swing
tool kit. The program is developed as an Open Source
Project and released under GNU General Public License. The code should
be considered pre-alpha quality, but there are enough features
implemented to get an idea about where the program development
is heading. 

JChemPaint development is coordinated by Christoph Steinbeck and his
Chemical Information group (http://www.ice.mpg.de/departments/ChemInf)
at the Max Planck Instiutute of Chemical Ecology
(http://www.ice.mpg.de).

Version 0.4 now features one-click condensation of rings using
predefined templates.

The program currently supports: 

1. A subset of the regular drawing features of commercial programs, as
there are
    - drawing of single, double and triple bonds (no stereo descriptors
yet). 
    - deletion of bonds and atoms 
    - one-click drawing of ring templates (3-8) 
    - one-click attachment of rings to an atom or a bond (spiro
attachment and ring condensation). 
2. Loading and saving of structures as MDL Molfiles and in Chemical
Markup Language (CML). 
3. Automated Structure Layout, aka Structure Diagram Generation. 

More information as well as a download option can be found on
http://www.ice.mpg.de/~stein/projects/JChemPaint/

People a sought to join the development of JChemPaint.

JChemPaint is associated with the OpenScience project
(www.openscience.org) and the 3D molecular viewer JMol
(http://www.openscience.org/jmol/), both initiated by Dan Gezelter at
Columbia University (http://www.chem.columbia.edu/~gezelter/).

I'd be happy to get some feedback from people who have downloaded the
program and got it up and running. 

Cheers, 

Chris

--
Dr. Christoph Steinbeck (http://www.ice.mpg.de/~stein)
MPI of Chemical Ecology, Tatzendpromenade 1a, 07745 Jena, Germany
Tel: +49(0)3641 643644 - Mobile: +49(0)177 8236510 - Fax: +49(0)3641
643665

What is man but that lofty spirit - that sense of enterprise. 
... Kirk, "I, Mudd," stardate 4513.3..