Subject: Re: Levinthal's paradox

From: CS Raman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:28:21 -0700 (PDT)

Jati:

{*} does anyone know something about the Levinthal paradox? 

Well, the list I have provided at the end of this mail should
help you track down all the literature pertinent to this problem.

{*} Until now I am unsuccessful in finding out the journal where Cyrus 
{*} Levinthal first published something about this paradox. 

Cy's article is one of the most MISQUOTED in the literature.
His original work was presented in a symposium:
Levinthal, C (1969) in Mossbauer Spectroscopy in Biological
Systems, (ed) Debrunner, P., & Tsibris, J.C.M., P. 22-24,
University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign. How to Fold Graciously.

Levinthal also published an article in J. Chim. Phys. (1968)
65: 44-45 entitled "Are there pathways for protein folding?",
which is usually quoted as being the source of the paradox.
This is incorrect and this article makes no mention of it.

1. Dill KA.
Polymer principles and protein folding.
Protein Science, 1999 Jun, 8(6):1166-80.

2. Yon JM.
Protein folding: concepts and perspectives.
Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, 1997 Jul, 53(7):557-67.

3. Finkelstein, AV; Badretdinov, AY.
Physical reason for fast folding of the stable spatial structure of
proteins: A solution of the Levinthal paradox.
MOLECULAR BIOLOGY, 1997 MAY-JUN, V31 N3:391-398.

4. Shakhnovich EI.
Theoretical studies of protein-folding thermodynamics and kinetics.
Current Opinion in Structural Biology, 1997 Feb, 7(1):29-40.

5. Dill KA; Chan HS.
>From Levinthal to pathways to funnels.
Nature Structural Biology, 1997 Jan, 4(1):10-9.

8. Finkelstein AV; Badretdinov AYa.
Rate of protein folding near the point of thermodynamic equilibrium
between the coil and the most stable chain fold [published erratum appears
in Fold Des 1998;3(1):67].
Folding and Design, 1997, 2(2):115-21.

9. Lattman EE.
Remembering Cy Levinthal [editorial].
Proteins, 1995 Oct, 23(2):i.

10. Karplus M; Sali A.
Theoretical studies of protein folding and unfolding.
Current Opinion in Structural Biology, 1995 Feb, 5(1):58-73.

11. Durup, J.
On ''Levinthal paradox'' and the theory of protein folding.
THEOCHEM-JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR STRUCTURE, 1998 FEB 9, V424 N1-2:157-169.

12. Karplus, M.
The Levinthal paradox: yesterday and today.
FOLDING & DESIGN, 1997, V2 N4:S69-S75.

13. HONIG B.
LEVINTHAL,CYRUS - IN MEMORIAM.
PROTEINS-STRUCTURE FUNCTION AND GENETICS, 1991, V11 N4:239-241.

14. LATTMAN E.
LEVINTHAL,CYRUS MAY 2, 1922 NOVEMBER 4, 1990 - IN MEMORIAM.
PROTEINS-STRUCTURE FUNCTION AND GENETICS, 1990, V8 N4:R1-R1.

I hope this helps.
-raman
___________________________________________________________________
C.S.Raman, PhD                              Tel: (949) 824-1797
University of California                    Fax: (949) 824-3280
Dept. Molecular Biology & Biochemistry      email: [email-masked]
3205 Bio Sci II, SH 530
Irvine, CA 92697-3900
-------------------------------------------------------------------
  The right to search for truth implies also a duty; one must not 
  conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true.
                                            --Albert Einstein
___________________________________________________________________