Subject: CCL:effects of temperature on hydrophobicity

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:07:34 +0100

Does any one know something about the effects of temperature (say, an increase
>from
20 to 40 degrees C) on the hydrophobicity properties of a protein?

Best regards

Enrique

Enrique Carredano, MSc, PhD            +46 (0)18 16 50 00 tel
Polymer and Surface Chemistry          +46 (0)18 16 50 42 direct
Amersham Pharmacia Biotech             +46 (0)18 16 63 96 fax
Bjorkg 30, 751 84 Uppsala Sweden       [email-masked]

---

From: "Anil K. Kandalam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:22:22 -0400 (EDT)

> 20 to 40 degrees C) on the hydrophobicity properties of a protein?
########
Enrique,

With an increase in temperature in the range of 20-40C, there is change
in the confirmational folding of the amino rather an imino acid PROLINE
which would maintain the protein stable, with an increased stability of
the protein as a function of its hydrophobic microenvironment in all those
proteins where proline happens to be an essential component of the
protein. 
In those proteins which do not have the iminoacid proline as a component,  
the activity regulation of the protein as a function of temperature where
activation of the active sites of the protein is far more greater in
comparison to deactivation.

In general, majority of the proteins after their synthesis, fold in a
cooperative fashion which demands the natural physiological conditions as
it involves nothing but the interaction of aminoacids. Hence the
temperature increase within the physiological range would facilitate easy
folding by the increased interactions between the activated hydrophobic
aminoacids.

ANIL KUMAR KANDALAM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address:			|
off: Dept. of Physics,          |     res: 612 Garnet Street, apt.#4,
     1400 Townsend Drive,       |                  HOUGHTON,MI-49931,
     Michigan Tech. Univ.,      |                  USA.
     HOUGHTON, MI-49931.	|
     USA			|
Ph:  (906) 487 2591             |             Ph:  (906) 482 0885
                           e-mail: [email-masked]
                           URL: http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~anil
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------