Subject: Re: CCL:Request SUN Share/Freeware Fortran Compiler

From: "Victor Anisimov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:14:25 +0200

:>How can I obtain a Shareware or Freeware Fortran Compiler for SUN
:>workstations?
:
:Look at any GNU ftp archive (e.g. ftp.gnu.org) and get gcc-2.95.1, it
:contains a good FORTRAN 77 compiler.

Dear Netters, let me add a few words on this question. I appreciate
GNU enthusiasm in open-source FORTRAN 77 development but from 
my experience it is still very crude FORTRAN compiler especially for non 
x86 based platforms. On non x86 based platform (SUN is) one can compile
only small fortran programs, but compilation of large programs like 
MOPAC2000 will fail. It creates non-running executable on SUN Sparc.

For SUN I can recommend Fujitsu FORTRAN compiler http://tools.fujitsu.com/
It is not free but you can download it for evaluation and use it for 30 days.
It is enough to compile any program.

Sincerely,
Victor.

=========================================================================
Victor Anisimov, PhD, Software Researcher - Computational Chemistry 
FQS Poland, Palac Pugetow, ul. Starowislna 13-15, 31-038 Krakow, Poland
Email: [email-masked]  Tel.(+48 12) 429 4345  Fax(+48 12) 429 6124
=========================================================================

---

From: Jochen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:49:49 +0200

>MOPAC2000 will fail. It creates non-running executable on SUN Sparc.

I am using the new egcs/gcc-2.95 on my AlphaStation without any problems !
I am using it on an old SPARCclassic running Linux as well, no big stuff,
though.
And the compiler is in some regards more compatible and standard
conforming than vendor compilers.

Probably you should check you setup (binutils, libraries, e.g.) ? 

Or are there real problems with it on Sun platforms ? If so, have you
reported them to the developers ?

-- Jochen