Subject: Chemical diversity and metabolome

From: Irene Nobeli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:18:39 +0100 (BST)

Dear all

I have two questions: 
a) Does anyone know or have heard of the existence of a map of small
molecules in the cell?
b) This is a bit trickier. I'm looking at ways that one can classify small
molecules (by small I mean molecules that are found as ligands). In other
words, chemical diversity or molecular similarity, depending on which way
you are looking at it. I would be interested in ANY method of
classification, no matter whether it is based on structural, or chemical,
electrostatic, hydrophilic or hydrophobic or any other property of the
system. I know there are quite a few methods out there. I am particularly
interested in automated methods (especially freely available ones) but any
contribution will be more than welcome.

I would appreciate ANY lead that could help me find more information on
either of the two subjects. I shall summarise the response.

Maany thanks in advance.

Irilenia

------------------------------------------------
Irene (Irilenia) Nobeli
Biomolecular Structure and Modelling Unit
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
University College London
Darwin Building
Gower Street
London
WC1E 6BT

[email-masked]
0171-419 3890
0171 504 2171

>>> Pain and suffering are inevitable but misery is optional. <<<