Subject: Summary: non-linear least squares

From: Jochen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:36:23 +0200

Dear All,

last week I asked:

> does anybody know of good OpenSource routines to perform unconstraint
> non-linear least squares fits, preferably in C++; C or FORTRAN are ok as
> well, though.
> Best would be a storage conserving implementation.
> Usage of BLAS would be nice, but I could probably change it accordingly
> by myself.
> I know of MINPACK codes lmstr and lmdif, nl2sol from TOMS and LINALG
> from CEPHES. Can anybody comment on these ?
> Does anybody know of new publications of any such algorithms ?

The results were references to netlib, Numerical recipes, Mathcad.
Also Konrad Hinsen referred me to his promising Python Scientific Library
at http://starship.python.net/crew/hinsen/scientific.html .

Well, Numerical recipes and mathcad are definetly not worth trying in my
case (I actually used the NR code some years ago on smaller problems). I
don't know ether MathCad can be called from outside programs at all ?
The codes from netlib are cited in my original question already.

I decided not to use Konrads library because I don't wanna add another
language to the project, but I will definetly keep it in mind for other
problems.

So I end up to use dn2f from the PORT-3 library, a successor of the
nl2sol subroutine from TOMS, interfacing C++ <-> FORTRAN using cfortran.h.

Thank you all for replying,
-- Jochen
        Heinrich-Heine-Universität, Institut für Physikalische Chemie I
        Universitätsstr. 1, Geb. 26.43.02.29, 40225 Düsseldorf, Germany
phone 02118113681 fax 02118115195  --  www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~jochen
[email-masked] -- [email-masked] -- [email-masked]