Subject: CCL:Postscript editor summary

From: Eric Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:42:43 -0700 (PDT)

Dear CCL,

Here is a summary of answers regarding editing postscript files on NT. 

Thank you Ivan Basic, Bruce Luxon, Kevin McConnell, and Markus Wagener.

Two commercial solutions were Adobe Illustrator and Coreldraw. I tried
a co-worker's copy of Adobe Illustrator, which seemed to work
fine. However, it is quite expensive.

Markus Wagener suggested shareware program pstoedit, which works in
conjunction with ghostscript.  It seemed to work well, but the file
types it creates are not the most useful to me.

While browsing the pstoedit and ghostscript sites, I also came across
Mayura Draw, a shareware drawing program that can take .ai and .wmf
files as input.  Postscript files can be converted to .ai files with
shareware utility ps2ai.  Ps2ai can be used directly with ghostscript,
or supposedly can be patched into pstoedit and gsview.  I was
unsuccessful in the latter, but the former worked fine. I used this
combination of ps2ai with Mayura Draw to solve my problem.

(MayuraDraw used to be called pageDraw.  PageDraw might have been the
"pgDraw" mentioned in the CCL archives, that I had been unable to
locate.)

Some useful URLs are:

http://www.mayura.com/
http://www.mayura.com/ps2ai.htm
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/5682/postscript.html
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/1958/importps/
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/1958/pstoedit/

Cheers, Eric

_____________________________________________________________________________
Original post:

I used to have a Mac, where I could edit postscript files either with
a program called "tailor", or a Freehand xtra called "PS Editlink".
Now I have an IBM running NT.  In the CCL archives, I found mention of
the pgdraw program, but I haven't found the program.  Is there a
postscript editor for NT?  Thanks.

_____________________________________________________________________________

one solution might be pstoedit
(http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/1958/pstoedit).  It is
not a ps-editor, but with it you can convert ps-files into a number of
different file formats like windows meta file etc.  pstoedit is based
on ghostscript, a very useful ps previewer that you need to install,
too.

Cheers,
   Markus

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 Dr. Markus Wagener
 NV Organon
 MDI-CMC RK2330          phone: +31-412-661380
 P.O. Box 20             FAX:   +31-412-662539
 5340 BH Oss             Email: [email-masked]
 The Netherlands
------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Ivan Basic" <[email-masked]>
To: martine
Subject: Re: CCL:Postscript editor
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 09:52:12 +0200

From:           	Eric Martin <[email-masked]>
Date sent:      	Tue, 7 Sep 1999 08:31:18 -0700 (PDT)
To:             	[email-masked]
Subject:        	CCL:Postscript editor

Hello Eric,

it is possible to edit postscript files with Coreldraw. I have used the 
version 8.0 with success. The only limitation is that you must have
single pages only. The files after saving are much larger. 

If you find other programs I would be grateful to you if you can send
me an e-mail.

Dr Ivan Basic
Rudjer Boskovic Institute
Bijenicka 54
HR-10001 Zagreb
Croatia
_____________________________________________________________________________

From: "Bruce A. Luxon" <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]
To: Eric Martin <martine>
Subject: Re: CCL:Postscript editor
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 11:31:05 -0500

Eric,

Adobe Illustrator is excellent for this purpose but expensive.

Bruc Luxon
_____________________________________________________________________________

From: Kevin McConnell <[email-masked]>
To: Eric Martin <martine>
Subject: Re: CCL:Postscript editor
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:21:42 -0400

Hi Eric,

	Adobe illustrator (AI) will allow you to read in postscript and edit each 
element of the postscript file. The current version of AI 8.0 on the mac 
and pc (95/98/NT) will read in the postscript file directly. AI 5.0 for 
unix and windows versions bellow 7.0(I also think mac version bellow 7.0) 
requires you to convert the file from .ps to .ai before it can be read in. 
This can be done using ghostscript (ps2ai.ps).

Cheers Kevin

****************************************************************

Kevin McConnell			Phone:	(860) 685 - 3214
Wesleyan University 			Fax:	(860) 685 - 2211
Molecular Biophysics Program
Middletown CT.  06459	http://linus.chem.wesleyan.edu/~kevin

*****************************************************************

-- 
Eric Martin
[email-masked]
4560 Horton St., Emeryville, CA 94608
(510)923-3306,  FAX (510)923-3360